X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vacuumm hose

Hello Everybody;

I have a 1982 GS850 G.

There is a short (8"-10") hard plastic hose connected to the top of the engine case behind where the starter is. The other end is disconnected. I have looked, and looked, and looked to see where it should go.

The hose is about 1/8" in diameter with an inside diameter of about 1/16".

Can anyone tell me where to connect this thing?

TIA.

Charles...

Probably goes to the airbox somewhere for emissions purposes.

Comment

The only thing I can find that matches your description is the hose that's attached to #21: PLUG BEVEL GEAR on the crankcase schematic on Bike Bandit's site. In the parts diagram on my Zedder CDROM, it's called a plug bevel gear breather, which makes more sense. On my engine the hose (#22 in the diagram) goes forward and then down under the corner of the starter cover along with the electrical wires that are routed there as well. I don't know where it goes from there, because I've never needed to remove that cover. Hope this helps.

Comment

OK.. do you have a link to Bike Bandit's site?

Also, I do not have the "Zedder CDROM". I googled this and no pages. Got any info on how to get a copy?

TIA.

Charles...

Comment

It's simply a vent hose, and it should be routed into the starter cavity, under the starter, and into the drain hole at the bottom. I stuck a blue piece of tubing into the drain hole in this photo so you can see it.

That little hose gets hard and is easy to crack, so be careful with it. You can also replace it with fuel line tubing used in weed whackers and other tiny engines.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Here are the links you requested:

Bike Bandit

Zedder

Comment

Hi All;

Hey Ruddy -- thanks for the links!!

and... for bwringer -- thanks for the photo. Just to clarify... the hose I am talking about is shown in the photo coming off the metal stud just above the word "UNDER" -- so I guess we're talking about the same hose. However, the starter is in place and I don't see how to get the hose back under it. You say it is "just a vent hose", so can I just leave it laying on top of the engine casing?

TIA.

Charles...

Comment

Originally posted by ccs
                Hi All;

Hey Ruddy -- thanks for the links!!

and... for bwringer -- thanks for the photo. Just to clarify... the hose I am talking about is shown in the photo coming off the metal stud just above the word "UNDER" -- so I guess we're talking about the same hose. However, the starter is in place and I don't see how to get the hose back under it. You say it is "just a vent hose", so can I just leave it laying on top of the engine casing?

TIA.

Charles...
                Charles,

I have the same vent hose on my 1100G. I'm pretty sure it's just supposed to vent and that it should be tucked away back be the swingarm like all the other hoses (carb/batt/etc.).

Jon
                16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
                13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
                78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
                Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
                02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
                12 Aprilia Shiver 750
                82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Working...
                X