Help...please....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help...please....

Hey guys I could really use some help diagnosing my bike problems. I have a 1982 GS550L. Last Friday my bike died out on me on the highway found out that there was a harness that was cracked and it melted the wires. I replaced the harness and problem solved. So I thought…. Yesterday, driving on the same highway my bike dies out again
    So this morning I take the fuse cover off and expect to find a blown fuse. Wrong again, so I check for spark, there is spark not really good but it looks good enough.

Were do I start looking for a problem this is the second time is has died out on me at highway speed.
    I can’t not get the bike to start it turns over good and there is spark.
    This bike has spent more time getting worked on than on the road. I bought it for $800.00 and have put at least that much more into it.
    thanks

Allllllllright scratch the bike won’t start just went down there and it started right up.
    However this morning I did have some gas in my clear line the one that hooks to the front of the carb. Is that normal because it seem that it has evaporated. If that is the problem how did I get gas in there I thought that hose was for air. Also the bike only runs on prime or auxiliary….

Comment

I'm betting that the other $800 you've spent on the bike was paid to a shop (of which most was labor cost). The problem is that most shops have incompetent and/or downright dishonest mechanics. And they also replace things that have nothing to do with the problem. It's just the reality (go ahead, ask me how I know).
      You can definitely track down that wiring harness problem (if that was a factor in the bike dying the second time), but you're going to need to invest some serious time (not money - a decent multimeter is only $30). You'll need a wiring diagram. You'll need to verify that you've got the proper fuses, a properly functioning charging system and at least a minimally functional ignition system - Coil performance degrades at higher RPM (you can read about this on Wikipedia). Electrical components that work just fine at start-up can die on you after a half hour (or whatever length of time) of heating up. So the bike starts up fine after cooling off. All of this has been discussed to death many times on this forum - use the search feature.
      Now, the second issue you mention about that clear hose with fuel in it: You need to KNOW what hose that is. If it's the vacuum hose then it should never have fuel in it. If it's the fuel line then it should flow freely while the bike is running, and if the petcock is set to "PRI" it should flow even when the bike is not running. Once again, the steps to daignose this issue have deen discussed to death on this forum - use the search feature.

Comment

Originally posted by slipbobber
        Allllllllright scratch the bike won’t start just went down there and it started right up.
        However this morning I did have some gas in my clear line the one that hooks to the front of the carb. Is that normal because it seem that it has evaporated. If that is the problem how did I get gas in there I thought that hose was for air. Also the bike only runs on prime or auxiliary….
        That should be a vacuum line. The reason fuel is in it is because the diaphram in the petcock is leaking. The vacuum line usually pulls on the diaphram allowing fuel to flow. Since it has a hole in it it also doesn't hold vacuum so you have to run it on prime to get fuel to the carbs. If you allow the leak to continue you will have fuel in the crankcase if you don't already. Pull the oil fill cap and sniff your oil. If you smell gas it has already made its way into the crankcase.

Comment

Sounds like you need to rebuild the petcock. Easy repair, Bikebandit.com or possibly your local dealer will have parts needed. Also check into a Suzuki shop manual if you don't have one already, manuals.com may have it. Good luck, Ray
          "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
          GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
          1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
          1979 GS1000SN The new hope
          1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

I just pulled the petcock off there was defiantly gas behind the diaphragm.
            Know would that cause my bike to stall out and not restart? I also noticed that white/red wire coming from the R\R may not have been hooked tight. When I pulled the rubber boot off it was disconnected or I pulled it off with the boot. But I unplugged it while it was running and it did not seem to make much difference.

Know if there is gas in my crank case all I need to do is drain my oil and replace it right?(along with fixing my petcock)

Comment

Working...
            X