Backfiring off of full throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backfiring off of full throttle

My bike is backfiring after I let off of the throttle opened wide. Is this just a matter of changing the main jet to lean it out a bit to prevent unburnt fuel being ignited in the headers?

try running some injector cleaner in a tank of gas. sounds like you mabe getting ready for a carb cleaning.

Comment

backfiring is usually from a lean condition.

Comment

Probably lean. Richen it up

Comment

My carbs are dialed in but I have aftermarket pipes and I get a few small pops on decal especially after gunning it. But it is a lean condition if all the neighborhood dogs are running for the hills. How is it running otherwise, I know you've been struggling to get it jetted properly.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Nice site Rosco!
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

back fire

check for tite heder bolts or manifold leak or re jet

Comment

Thanks, It keeps me out of the bars.....

Comment

Originally posted by akreider
                  My bike is backfiring after I let off of the throttle opened wide. Is this just a matter of changing the main jet to lean it out a bit to prevent unburnt fuel being ignited in the headers?
                  If you're talking about typical decel' pop, it's not your main jets. Closed/nearly closed throttle positions would be the pilot ciruit. Try adjusting the mixture screws out a little more. If no joy by about 3 or 4 turns (for pipe/pod mods) then you need a larger pilot jet. 2 turns out is usually enough if the bike is stock.
                  This assumes the carbs are clean, synched and the exhaust isn't leaking.
                  And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                  Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                  X