1978 Gs750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 Gs750

I just bought a 1978 GS750 from the original owner for $300, who bought it new back in the day. It's got just over 20,000 miles on it.
    It has a few minor scratches on the tank, etc, and a small tear in the seam of the seat. It also needs a new tach cable. I put in new sparkplugs, and a new battery, fresh gas with a bit of seafoam cause its been siting all winter. She fired right up... i've been riding it for a bout a week now. The only problem i have is sometimes it wont start with the elect. push button, and i have to kick it a few times... just a neusiance really.
    My friend says the carbs prob need to be cleaned. So that's on my to do list, along with having the front forks rebuilt, and a new seat.
    So heres what i need.
    Any comments on the starting problem?
    Where can i get a new seat?
    Where can i get some highway bars/pegs? I'ts got the case saver already, see my pics at www.gcextreme.com/Suzuki.html
    Thanks abunch !\\/

could be the starter relay for the starter button problem. if you press the button and hear a click than it works. try cleaning the terminals and make sure the wires are connected good. as for getting parts, best bet is to browse on ebay or go in the for sale section of the forums

Comment

1 The seat covers are available. I picked on up on e-bay not to long ago. i don't recall how much maybe 30.00

2 Could be starter button, could be soenoid. I would clean contacts on starter button first and thank God for that kick starter.

3 I would be inimally intrusive on the carbs. If it is serving you now and running well through the ranges I would leave them alone until cold weather and then replace the 0-rings. Maybe run some berrymans carb cleaner through it over the summer.

Nothing will serve this bike more than regular use. Many quirks mellow out when the bike is used daily for a couple of weeks and then you know what is real and waht is a red herring.

Enjoy this old bike. I have a 77 and this thing is like a hammer. I can go to it and it is ready to go. And it willl go!

Comment

One more thing.

Changing fork oil is very easy. do it as soon as you have a free thirty minutes. You will then know if your forks are leaking or not and know if you need to be putting in fork seals. That takes a half a day if all goes well.

Ride the bike

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the info guys..... i appreciate it...

Comment

Working...
          X