Ticking sound!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ticking sound!!!!

Ok heres the scoop, I changed the oil in my 82 750T yesterday and it looked fine (no shavings or other suprises) It was just really old and black. After I put her back together me and a friend went for a cruise and I noticed the engine was making a ticking sound from the top end. Not real sure if it is the lifters or valves. A few times when the bike would get a load on it I noticed that the ticking was much louder. It is running fine and has no power loss, just the ticking that wasn't present before the oil change. Any ideas? BTW I put casrol 10w 40 oil in it and a genuine suzuki oil filter in case you are wondering. Thanks for the input, Scott

If it's hot try a 20w 50. Maybe it's time to check your valve clearance. My rpm gear ticks sometimes.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I try to adhere to the concept of "first do no harm".

I try to mess with bikes as little as possible. I would first check the oil level. Too little or too much is not good.

If it is 100 degrees there this week, I would suggest this is not a good time to judge temp of the engine and start making changes.

Planning to check your valve clearance is always a good idea but remember generally speaking too loose is OK too tight is bad. When I replaced a head gasket I mismatched some shims and be assured the ones that were really off did more than tick. It sound more like somebody hitting a piston with a hammer.

Comment

Well I checked my oil level again. As you are probably aware of the full line is close to the top of the window, my oil level is a little high covering the window completely. Can to much oil make it sound funny??? I will drain some of it out later today. Thx for your replies, Scott

Comment

Working...
        X