Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I go with a hi volume oil pump???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I go with a hi volume oil pump???

While going through my clutch, the idea of installing a hi output/volume oil pump was presented to me.
    My question is, if I am running a stock motor with a oil cooler, do I need to install a hi output oil pump?
    Thanks.
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

I had no probs with my bike with a cooler and no oil pump mods. I now have the high volume gears and a topend oiler and no probs either. I ran the bike for a while with the high volume gears and no other mods and all was just fine. IMHO I think higher volume/pressure isn't a bad thing.

Comment

A very good GS mechanic told me that the two weakest links on these 1100 motors are the springs and rivets on the clutch backing plate and the volume of the stock oil gears. He gave me this link and I followed his advice, even though I'm still looking for a welded clutch basket-hub.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

hi all

clutch hub billet aperacing thats were i got mine see pics at photobugket under 1261fatty

Comment

Thanks for the link. My ole girl is pushing 75K on the odometer. Considering going into the clutch and do some shoring up, and will probably add those high volume pump gears. Not bad price, either!
          Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that! :)

Comment

The short answer is no. The slightly longer answer is that the GS engine is a low pressure oil deliver system. Unless you have done extreme modifications or are running a turbo you do not need to increase the oil flow and there is no benefit by doing so. If you require the even longer answer I will have to call the guru and get it first hand for you but suffice it to say that info comes from a 30+ year UJM performance tech veteran. Not me

Comment

Working...
            X