Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't get it to idle below 2000

Henry here,

I'm a new guy to the site and a new guy to Suzuki's. I picked up several boxes of '79 GS1000S that I'm trying to get back together before the riding season is over. I figured the first thing to do was get it to run, which I have. I've taken the carbs apart and cleaned them, replaced a couple of floats, adjusted them to the specs per the factory manual and timed the bike. I can just barely get the thing started but it does start and the carbs show that they are in schync acording to my mercury manometer. By, "in schync" I mean they all read the same but low.

The carbs are the VM style but have NO idle fuel screws, only idle air screws/jets. I can't get it to idle below 2000 fully warmed up. Any ideas?

Henry

Hopefully someone will help. Someone (I forget who) mentioned checking for air leaks between the carbs and the engine. Those boots and o-rings are notorious leakers.

Comment

There is an idle screw for the bank of carbs. I have a 77 with VM carbs. I find the air screwsa at the top to be the best place to get running even and then back doen idle. Of course this works only if the carbs are sycned.

Comment

Sounds like an intake leak to me. Most likely the manifold o-rings.
        If you're sure you have no pilot fuel screws (underneath) and only side air screws, you probably have 29 smoothbores on it. The stock 26 VM's have pilot fuel screws and air screws.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
        X