Weird Dyno Jet Carb jets...HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird Dyno Jet Carb jets...HELP!

I took the carbs off today to soak them and write down jet sizes. Here is what I found...
    Bike info... 4in1 v&h header and megaphone, no baffle, K&N pods, and qusetionable overbore cylinders(??). Owner said it had a DynoJet stage 3 kit in it.

Air jets were 180, Needle was in the 4th hole from bottom. No ide on float level but will set to 23 when reinstalling.

Main jet said 165 .....:shock: Is that about right??? Found the Dyno Jet box and it has the old needles in it and some 170 air jets but no mains. It also has 3 unopened bags labled DJ118 and DJ114 and an opened bag that reads DJ165.

The jets in the bag (118 and 114) and the 165 in the carb have a thick shoulder. the 180 in the air jet had a thin shoulder. I also found some used 170 thick shoulder jets.

The bike will idle at 1200 , run like carp from 2 till 5-6 and then scream from their on.

I have new plugs to go in it so I can start reading the plugs, but what jets should I start with and what needle settings??
    AAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!

This is a 1100 you're talking about?

My Katana with similar mods ran a 138 DJ main jet, running just a tad rich on top according to the Dyno, bare in mind that DJ sizes are different to Mikuni ones. My stock air jet should be a 150 but was a 160, there were 160's included in the kit if I needed to lean out the bottom end, it was indeed a bit lean but only untill 2500/3000 rpm in cold conditions, 150 should have been perfect.

Needles in the middle groove.

Comment

Sorry it is a GS1000g... DJ's are numbered different?? Good info... But does those number sound right??

Comment

Originally posted by DarkStang
        Sorry it is a GS1000g... DJ's are numbered different?? Good info... But does those number sound right??
        Yes they are different, click on the attachment, I have no experience in tuning a 1000G but the main seems too big.

Comment

What year?
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

It is an 80 GS1000G. I dug a little more and found teh Dynojet instructions. It says for a free flowing unbaffled exhaust and K&N individual filters to use the DJ175 and the fourth slot up on the needle with air jet screws at 2.5 turns out. Called the owner and he said he had the 175's in and when cleaning the carbs put the 165's in because the 175's were dirty.........

Also when taking the carbs apart I noticed a little disc about 1/4 to 3/8 diameter right behind the throttle plate in the bottom of the throat. The outer 2 carbs have the disc but not the inner 2??? Their is a rubber o ring like thing underneath and then the bowl gasket. What is this and do I need to find 2 more for the other 2 carbs>>>

Comment

Working...
            X