bad motor what now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bad motor what now?

so my 85 gs 700 motor has about 70% leak down in cylinders 2 and 3 and over 30% in 1 and 4. I need to part it or rebuild it. Where can I get the parts to rebuild? will the "stock replacements" work once the cylinders have been honed? ( I realize that depends in part on how much material is removed from cylinder walls) asking more for opinions here. are there larger diameter cylinders available anywhere? will stock carbs and cam work if the displacment increases? I ask because I have a limited budget for all of this and while I would hate to get rid of this bike I can't afford to keep it if I want to ride something something this year. I have already been a year without riding trying to get this bike going, only find the motor has finally gotten too tired to keep up. Any thoughts?

I would think that most of the parts youd need to rebuild would still be available from suzuki. Before you start shopping, you need to determine if the compression loss is due to bad rings or valve guides. Run another compression check (with the engine hot) and record the numbers. Then, go back and repeat the test, but put a few drops of oil in the spark plug hole. If the numbers pick up dramatically that means the rings are shot. Depending on hoe bad theyve chewed up the cylinder walls dictate what directions you can go. If the numbers dont improve its mainly a valve seal problem. Valve jobs are pretty cheap compared to a rebuild or new bike.

Comment

it is the rings. And the oil trick was done, and the "ring free" stuff that is supposed to eat all the crap off the pistons has been put in but I don't think it will be a problem solver......... I would really rather have a bike that I know is in good shape. that is why I am looking for the rebuild stuff.

Comment

where do you live, i live in new york and have a good spare 83 gs750e motor for free if you want it, but thats if you live within reason of getting it.

Comment

i'll take it! Im in allentown PA i'll actually be in northern Jersey next weekend anyway. so maybe this will work.

I pm'ed you and emailed you about it .........not sure which is the best way to reach you.

Comment

Working...
          X