Re-usable valve cover gaskets - trying to locate one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-usable valve cover gaskets - trying to locate one

Does any one know where I can get a reusable (rubber) valve cover gasket for my '81 GS1100E?

Hap

Ok, I found a place:

They have them for both the 20 bolt pattern and the 24 bolt pattern (750 and 1100).

Hap

Comment

Had bad results with reusable gasket on car differental LEAKED and I didn't know I lost the oil

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
        Had bad results with reusable gasket on car differental LEAKED and I didn't know I lost the oil
        I can easily see any leaking on the valve cover. Mine will leak unless I use gasket sealent which means that every time I adjust my valves I spend 3 hours cleaning the valve cover and head sealing surfaces and always end up destroying the gasket. With the local dealer asking $35 for a gasket and aftermarket gaskets (vesrah) going for $15-$20 it gets expensive. With the rubber gasket I can re-use it and get rid of the cleaning chore. If the rubber gasket leaks, I will be forced to go back to the old system but with the cost of the rubber gasket being $25.95, I will not lose that much to at least try it.

Hap

Comment

Hey Hap,
          j
          One thing I have always done on my valve gaskets is to coat them with the Permetex copper collered gasket RTV, let it dry, then put it on. It just takes enough so that the gasket is completely covered. My buddy said this should prevent it from sticking, and I should be able to reuse it. I haven't had any leaks either. I also put a bit of RTV around the cam end plugs.

Comment

One trick I learned when building racing engines was with carburetor float bowl gaskets... Rub one side of them with Chap-Stick lip balm, and they will not stick, and will still seal great. I don't see why it wouldn't work with valve-cover gaskets. It would be worth a try.

Comment

Another suggestion for you Hap is to try the Loctite non-hardening casket cement this will seal it and wont set off there by saving all that cleaning and replacement.
              Dink

Comment

Working...
              X