1978 GS 1000 seat question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS 1000 seat question

Just bought this bike and I'm wanting to go back to the "right" seat for it. I was reading the classified forums and noticed that some seats are difficult or expensive to come by. I'm attaching some pics to show you what I'm talking about.
    1 My bike as purchased

Any feedback / suggestions are greatly appreciated. Guy
    Last edited by Guest; 06-29-2007, 02:08 PM.

Oops!

Wrong pic! That is what I'm trying to achieve. This is how it looks now. Notice seat and tail section don't line up. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ad.php?t=94673

Guy

Comment

That's the one you want, or have?
      That's what I'm looking for. The flat one.

Comment

Sorry about the confusion there. I have the bi-level one. It's a Suzuki seat but not the right one. Here's a pic of what I have. I've found a "pan" for a flat seat but dont know if I should get the pan and "build" it or hold out for a whole unit? Guy

Comment

Build it if you ever plan on having one.
          I'm going to redo mine to a flat one.

Comment

Thanks BillyBoy

Do you recognize the other seat I have? It says Suzuki on the back and has a round riveted hole there too. Is it a GS(?) seat? Guy

Comment

seat

This is what a standard GS1000st (1980) looks like or do u want to have a bigger hump. It uses the basic seat pan

Comment

Sharpy, any idea where to get a new (or good condition) pan for that seat? That's the same one I've got, but the pan is permanently bolloxed from corrosion.

Comment

I am trying to put it back the way it comes from the factory. Mine is a '78. Shouldn't it be like the picture on post #1 or am I way off base here? Guy
                  Originally posted by sharpy
                  This is what a standard GS1000st (1980) looks like or do u want to have a bigger hump. It uses the basic seat pan

Comment

The first pic in the thread is accurate.

Comment

Thanks B/B. Is this a GS seat also? Guy

Comment

This is a stock seat for a GS1000 (non-E model)

And this is the stock seat for a GS1000E

I think the seat you have might be from a GL model? Does the pan fit the frame, i.e. does the seat you have now fit properly as far as the pan?
                        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                        79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

The 'stepped" seat is from an L model, or the cruiser style.

If you have the pan and a decent upholstery shop they can
                          cut foam, have them use triple density and make a cover.
                          Sargent has good covers, they're the first one that comes to mid.
                          There are many others.

Surf Ebay for a seat. Look for a "E" model seat, not the L.
                          A 750 T is different also. The 850 are also different.
                          The 1100 are different, get the idea?
                          You need a seat from the 78-80 1000E family.
                          Keith
                          -------------------------------------------
                          1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                          2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Here's a couple more ideas

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ad.php?t=94685
                            Keith
                            -------------------------------------------
                            1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                            2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

No, not really. The previous owner added some hardware to "make" it work. Thanks for that info! When I get the right one I'll post the GL seat on the classifieds for someone. It's in good shape. I love that pipe on yours. That's the exact setup I have in mind for mine. Nice bike! Guy
                              Originally posted by renobruce
                              This is a stock seat for a GS1000 (non-E model)

And this is the stock seat for a GS1000E

I think the seat you have might be from a GL model? Does the pan fit the frame, i.e. does the seat you have now fit properly as far as the pan?

Comment

Working...
                              X