Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs 550 won't start when hot?

Hello

I just baught a gs550 L it has 11000 original miles and runs well when it is cool. The guy that sold it to me said he just had the carb worked on so now I'm at a loss. This is a good description of my problem. This past week, the bike will not start when hot. I can get up in the morning, ride to where I need to go, leave a few hours later(starts fine each way), but if I stop anywhere, and then try to restart the bike 5 minutes later, it's a no go, I can push start it but but I would like to find out whats wrong. I have to wait a couple of hours for it to cool down, before it starts with the button. Today, the bike started stalling at low RPM after a short ride, and then not starting even if attempting it right away. Anyone got any advice thanks Jason

Originally posted by robodoc
    Hello

I just baught a gs550 L it has 11000 original miles and runs well when it is cool. The guy that sold it to me said he just had the carb worked on so now I'm at a loss. This is a good description of my problem. This past week, the bike will not start when hot. I can get up in the morning, ride to where I need to go, leave a few hours later(starts fine each way), but if I stop anywhere, and then try to restart the bike 5 minutes later, it's a no go, I can push start it but but I would like to find out whats wrong. I have to wait a couple of hours for it to cool down, before it starts with the button. Today, the bike started stalling at low RPM after a short ride, and then not starting even if attempting it right away. Anyone got any advice thanks Jason
    What year is your bike?
    I take it this is an electric starting issue rather than an engine issue? You are rather unclear in your description.

You need to start at the battery. Check it's output when it's cold and hot. For best results the battery should be fully charged and each cell checked with a hydrometer. Check the starter relay (solenoid). Check all the wiring connedtions between the battery and starter. Then take a look at the starter.

But I'll bet your problem is the battery and possibly the charging system now that the engine is not running right.

Comment

I've got an 82 GS850 (bought it about a month ago on eBAY). The bike runs great.

Would always start when cold, then became more and more difficult to start when hot. Then it just wouldn't start at all. I replaced the battery, but it turns out the armature in the starter has all kind of busted wires (I just pulled the starter this morning and took it apart).

HTH.

Charles...

Comment

Starter

I had a very similar problem with a '68 Couger I had when I was in college. It started easily when I first got in but if I stopped for a quick errand, I had to wait a spell before it would restart. I took it to a mechanic and he told me to put in a new starter (easy job on those cars).
        He said that the armature was expanding when it got hot and was unable to turn. I don't pretend to know much of anything about starters but it did solve the problem.
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
        X