Exhaust gasket replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust gasket replacement

Hey folks... finally got back home yesterday. Went out to remove the exhaust pipes for the new V&H replacement. I'm pretty darn sure I need new gaskets... Can anyone tell me what the removal process is?

Seems like a dumb question even to me, but what the hell, better safe...

A pry bar and sledge hammer:-) Just pry them out.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366
      A pry bar and sledge hammer:-) Just pry them out.

see...now they are two tools I am actually very very good with....

perhaps the only two tools but hey.... cant be pretty and leet too 8-[

Comment

Hrmm. Hehe.... Is there a method for getting them back in?

Comment

They should just slide right in..

you might have to use a dental pick or something of that nature to get that out
          1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

The problem won't be getting them in. The problem may be keeping them from falling out once they are in. A couple of VERY SMALL dabs of high temp grease might help. Torque to proper specs of course.

Comment

This is my experience with exhaust on my bike a couple months ago. After breaking 5 of the 8 bolts I drilled and tapped all the bolts holes replacing them with new bolts with a nice big glob of anti-seize. I then installed the pipes...hmmm a leak...i'll just run it a minute and tighten it down a bit more...SNAP...followed by a few 4 letter words other than SNAP. Take the whole thing back off. Breaking off another bolt taking it back apart. Did I mention I used stainless bolts? OK class...does anyone know how hard stainless is to drill???? I DO NOW. A few more 4 letter words later. I ended up drilling somewhere between the bolt and head. A few more 4 letter words. I get a brainstorm. I take the flange bolt it to the head with the other bolt that didn't break and drill for oil. I finally get everything back together...still leaks. More 4 letter words and then a trip to the bike shop for some words of advice. They tell me....use 2 gaskets because they always leak and make sure I bolt the pipes to the engine FIRST. I say...BRILLIANT. I buy a package of 10...just in case. I take everything apart again. Double gasket slap it back together and it worked. A few more 4 letter words later letting my bike know who was boss I now let the shop do all the work to my bike because i'm an idiot. LOL My input...DON'T USE STAINLESS BOLTS and double gasket...just in case.

Comment

lmfao Dennis - we could be brothers dude roflmao:shock:

Comment

Wow.. what a story... by the way I'm a newbie so I trying to learn as much as I can from you seasoned GSr's. I have installed a pipe on a couple of my bikes and always use stainless steel bolts... please advise what the cons are beside trying to drill them out when they break off in the head. I also used "never seize" on them when I installed them... good or bad?

Comment

Can someone help me?

This is the last thread that I can see "brveagle" has posted on, so I was wondering if anyone knew who he was and a way to contact him aside from here. The reason I am asking is I payed him $100 for a set of carbs about 2 weeks ago. Hwe said he shipped them 11 days ago and I have yet to recieve them. Plus I have tried to contact him and had no luck with a response. At first I thought he just wasn't on the site, but I see he has posted since my trying to get ahold of him. Can anyone out there vouch for him? Will I get my parts?

Comment

I don't know him but in todays world you should always purchase shipping/ tracking confirmation and you'll get a tracking number to see where your package is. Only costs like 35 cents? Hope it turns out well.
                      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                      X