81 650e idles rough after ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 650e idles rough after ride

So far , I've been out on my newly aquired 81 gs650e (11K miles ) twice. Both trips have been mostly highway, few stops, 30 mile trips. Bike starts and runs fine on the trip, idles fine at stop lights, and runs great. When I park the bike, it wants to idle really rough and almost stalls. I haven't checked the plugs yet, but it did look like it was running slightly rich before I had it out on the road ( putting around the yard ). I wanted to ride it a few times to open it up and check them then. It doesn't have a stock exhaust. It's a 4 to 1 with a megaphone on it. Airfilter looks good, but I haven't replaced it yet. Any ideas?

bump! bump!

Comment

You need to check the plugs and find out if it was jetted for the 4-1 exhaust.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by tsc
        So far , I've been out on my newly aquired 81 gs650e (11K miles ) twice. Both trips have been mostly highway, few stops, 30 mile trips. Bike starts and runs fine on the trip, idles fine at stop lights, and runs great. When I park the bike, it wants to idle really rough and almost stalls. I haven't checked the plugs yet, but it did look like it was running slightly rich before I had it out on the road ( putting around the yard ). I wanted to ride it a few times to open it up and check them then. It doesn't have a stock exhaust. It's a 4 to 1 with a megaphone on it. Airfilter looks good, but I haven't replaced it yet. Any ideas?
        Clean your plugs and air filter,or get new ones.Do you have a baffel in the megaphone or is it straight a thru pipe?I didnt ride my bike for 2 weeks and it would not stay idling untill I cleaned the plugs and air filter.It has ran fine ever since.

Comment

Plugs are good; nice brown color - Airfilter is questionable. I have a new one on order.

The exhaust has a baffle in it. I'm not sure what make the pipe is . The megaphone is welded on.

Comment

Originally posted by tsc
            Plugs are good; nice brown color - Airfilter is questionable. I have a new one on order.

The exhaust has a baffle in it. I'm not sure what make the pipe is . The megaphone is welded on.
            clean the plugs and regap them.Check for good spark on all cylinders too.One bad plug could make it do that. if they are old I would change them out anyway.I always ride with 4 new ones with me just in case.

Comment

?

Is it just a very low idle when it gets hot? If so, suggests maybe an air intake leak check the wonderful connection between the air box and the carbs by spraying carb cleaner and see if the idle changes.

Comment

Working...
              X