Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what do you do when your bike is a slow starter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what do you do when your bike is a slow starter?

I have a 1981 gs550 and i have recently had the carbs rebuilt, cleaned and tuned to factory specs. My bike seems to not want to start on the first turn though! sometimes i need to hold down the button until it finally gets enough to get going. when it is going it runs ok but it seems to not like starting. Any ideas???

Originally posted by steve_crabb
    I have a 1981 gs550 and i have recently had the carbs rebuilt, cleaned and tuned to factory specs. My bike seems to not want to start on the first turn though! sometimes i need to hold down the button until it finally gets enough to get going. when it is going it runs ok but it seems to not like starting. Any ideas???
    Mine's the same way. Once warmed up, if it sits for more than 15 minutes, it needs a few cranks to start. It starts with a little choke very quickly, though. I've also got a stock air/fuel system with factor settings. Maybe there's a small air leak somewhere. I'm living with it because otherwise it runs fine.

Comment

more than a few cranks

it takes more than a few cranks to start up though, it can take up to 30 seconds with it sort of running but needing the starter to keep pushing it through till it can run on its own. so i'm not sure if it is normal, it could be but i'm new to this whole motorcycle thing, this is my first bike.

Comment

check your battery. You might be suprised how much of a difference a low battery makes. Also could need tuned up (plugs/timing/carb sync).

Comment

put your bike on prime for a few seconds before you start to fill up the bowls, make sure its on choke and crank till it fires. its also alot easier to start whe bike is upright such as centerstand. tends to take longer on side stand.

Comment

Originally posted by ericox
            check your battery. You might be suprised how much of a difference a low battery makes. Also could need tuned up (plugs/timing/carb sync).
            Mine was a bit cold tempered, but a new battery and a $19 "Bell Juicer" battery tender from Wally World made a world of difference. I now start in a second rather than 5-10 seconds (when it was cold out or sat for a few days). I never thought the battery made such a difference, but it really does..

Comment

Originally posted by Can_O_Tuna
              Mine was a bit cold tempered, but a new battery and a $19 "Bell Juicer" battery tender from Wally World made a world of difference. I now start in a second rather than 5-10 seconds (when it was cold out or sat for a few days). I never thought the battery made such a difference, but it really does..
              Yup, i had a bike for 2 years before i realised i had a low battery and was causing it to be a hard starter and always backfired. I just thought that was the way it was (my first bike). Battery finally died, got a new one and it was like night and day.

Comment

On cold starts try putting your thumb over the valve cover tube while pressing the starter button. It cranks over a little sooner and saves your battery from constant cranking. While it's idling reconnect the tube to the airbox.

Comment

Working...
                X