Shindengen Sh538-12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shindengen Sh538-12

Hi, I am about to replace my regulator on my gs850 with a sh538-12 2.0 from a 1980 goldwing 1100. Let me know if i have it right.

3 yellows from honda regulator to stator
    2 green grounds from honda regulator to frame
    2 red from honda regulator to positive on battery
    1 black from honda regulator to tailight circuit for sensing

Also, what does the 2.0 represent that is printed on the regulator.

Thanks Ted

Originally posted by knotzilla
    Hi, I am about to replace my regulator on my gs850 with a sh538-12 2.0 from a 1980 goldwing 1100. Let me know if i have it right.

3 yellows from honda regulator to stator
    2 green grounds from honda regulator to frame
    2 red from honda regulator to positive on battery
    1 black from honda regulator to tailight circuit for sensing

Also, what does the 2.0 represent that is printed on the regulator.

Thanks Ted
    You've got the color coding right. If I were making the installation, I would connect the green grounds directly to the negative battery post. I would also connect a 15 amp fuse in series with the red wires before connecting them to the positive battery post. As you have indicated, the black sense wire should be connected to an circuit such as the tail light which is hot only when the ignition is on.

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocks
      ... I would also connect a 15 amp fuse in series with the red wires before connecting them to the positive battery post.
      If he were to do this and the fuse ever popped, when would he know it popped and what would be the consequences?

Comment

He would slowly find out about it as the battery began to die. I don't think it would damage the stator...
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

The normal OEM wiring harness connection of the red wire(s) from the R/R goes through the main fuse (15A) in the fuse box. If the red wire(s) are connected directly to the battery, it eliminates any potential problems from connector/fuse box corrosion but the circuit will not have the protection of a fuse unless a replacement is inserted.

Comment

Yes, I did plan to connect the red wire through the fuse box. I should of stated this in the original question "Sorry". Thanks for your help. Ted

Comment

Run one red through the stock wiring to the fuse box then fuse the other one and run it to the battery or the battery side of the starter relay. If one blows you'll be backed up with redundant power.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                Run one red through the stock wiring to the fuse box then fuse the other one and run it to the battery or the battery side of the starter relay. If one blows you'll be backed up with redundant power.
                In a setup like this, if one fuse blows they will probably both blow because the two red leads from the R/R are internally connected and behave as one wire. Anything that affects one lead will affect the other as well. If the fuse from the battery blows because of a short in the R/R or its wiring, the load will still try to go through the main fuse. Then the main fuse will blow, and the bike will shut down. The downside of having each of the two wires fused is that it effectively doubles the overload necessary to blow the fuse(s) because they are connected in parallel. If connected to the main fuse (15A) and another 15A battery fuse, it might take a 30+A overload to blow the fuses. If one lead is connected to the battery without a fuse, it effectively eliminates the main fuse from the electrical circuit, and the bike will operate with the main fuse removed.

For these reasons, I would recommend connecting both red leads to the wiring harness, or both to the battery with a 15A fuse in series, but not splitting the wires between the harness and battery. If the harness connection and fuse box are kept free of corrosion, connecting to the harness should work satisfactorily.

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocks
                  In a setup like this, if one fuse blows they will probably both blow because the two red leads from the R/R are internally connected and behave as one wire. Anything that affects one lead will affect the other as well. If the fuse from the battery blows because of a short in the R/R or its wiring, the load will still try to go through the main fuse. Then the main fuse will blow, and the bike will shut down. The downside of having each of the two wires fused is that it effectively doubles the overload necessary to blow the fuse(s) because they are connected in parallel. If connected to the main fuse (15A) and another 15A battery fuse, it might take a 30+A overload to blow the fuses. If one lead is connected to the battery without a fuse, it effectively eliminates the main fuse from the electrical circuit, and the bike will operate with the main fuse removed.

For these reasons, I would recommend connecting both red leads to the wiring harness, or both to the battery with a 15A fuse in series, but not splitting the wires between the harness and battery. If the harness connection and fuse box are kept free of corrosion, connecting to the harness should work satisfactorily.
                  It's great having guys like you to explain things. I read where someone else had hooked up like that and it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                    It's great having guys like you to explain things. I read where someone else had hooked up like that and it seemed like a good idea at the time.
                    Thanks, Billy.

It does seem like a good idea until a wiring diagram and circuit tracing indicate that some connection configurations can have unintended effects.

Comment

Working...
                    X