Tachometer Rebuild ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tachometer Rebuild ???

Is it possible to rebuild a tachometer? I have a 79' GS 1000 L and ever since I got it the tach has been screwed up. I've seen the page where the guy took his speedo apart and fixed it. I know you can't buy a replacement. Any info would be appreciated.

you can cut it open like you have seen the speedometer done,And see whats wrong with it there is not much to them but it would be a good idea to check ebay as there are often out there cheep enough.

Comment

I found that the metal fitting on the engine end of my cable was loose and would spin on the inner cable. I fixed it with good old JB Weld nearly two years and 6,000 miles ago. You can also try removing the tach and putting a FEW drops of light oil in the opening for the cable.

This is assuming you've already thoroughly cleaned and lubed the cable in the first place.

Comment

Actually it's a brand new cable. When I hook it up, it makes sort of a whirring noise, and pegs out at the max RPMs.

Comment

I suspect the tach works using the same mechanism as the speedo. There's a saucer shaped bell thing which is attached to the needle and the cable spins a magnetic wheel inside the bell which causes the rotation. If crud builds up in the bell and the wheel comes into contact with the crud, I'm guessing you will get what you described. You need to open up the unit and carefully clean out the mechanism with some solvent (careful not to get it on the face as it will eat the paint!!!) then apply a little machine oil and you should be good. You can open it up by either un-crimping the metal ring which holds the glass to the body, or by cutting the body and glueing it back when you are done. I've done the un-crimping twice. Just be patient and use two fine tipped flat screw drivers and go slowly. There's a nice page on this site which describes how to cut the body:

Last edited by DimitriT; 07-08-2006, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I'll try that. I get a little nervous when I start taking things apart, that I'm not sure how they work.

Comment

Working...
            X