Dual Headlights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Headlights?

I was thinking about using some cheap driving lights from Wal-mart to make dual headlights for my 550. I think they are 55 watts a piece. My question is would this work, or would it overload the electrical system?
    Our do I need to get head lights specifically designed for motorcycles?

Any thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Moonshine550t

M& P CYCLE HAS DUAL HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS FOR BIKES. i THINK THE DRIVING LIGHTS FROM WALMART WOULD PUT AN STRAIN IF NOT A TOTAL OVERLOAD TO THE FRAGILE GS ELECTRICAL SYSTEM. THEY R IN ENGLAND BBUT THEY HAVE ALOT OF PARTS ACCESSORIES FOR OLD GS BIKES.

Comment

M& P CYCLE HAS DUAL HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS FOR BIKES. i THINK THE DRIVING LIGHTS FROM WALMART WOULD PUT AN STRAIN IF NOT A TOTAL OVERLOAD ON THE FRAGILE GS ELECTRICAL SYSTEM. THEY R IN ENGLAND BUT THEY HAVE ALOT OF PARTS ;ACCESSORIES FOR OLD GS BIKES.

Comment

I've seen it done on Honda's, but I think their electricals are a little better. The low beam on your GS is a 55 watt and high beam is 60 (If I recall right, please correct me if I'm wrong guy's), so you should be able to run one without a problem, but I think two would be pushing it. The do make 35 watt bulbs for those driving lights, but then you lose your night vision. It would look cool and different though, keep us posted as to what you do, and how it works out for ya. I know I'm interested.

Comment

Extra lights

I added a couple of car fish-eye driving lights to my 850 (mainly for those times when you need a good high beam) and powering them directly the electrics aren't up to it. However, a relay plus a couple of extra wires allows me to power the extra lights directly from the battery while controlling them by powering the relay from a splice to the high beam feed wire.

I don't know what running auxillary lights continuously would do, it depends if the charging circuit is up to it.

Big Si

Comment

Don't think a GS could supply two 55W lights. If you want them for looks more than night riding, you could wire them so only one lights up on low beam, and the other on high.

Comment

I mounted a pair of lights off of a later model gs750, where the dual headlamp assembly is stock. I've found that I can run only one of them at a time. If they're both on, they aren't as bright as I'd like; and, they're a bit yellow. :roll: Even with a rewound stator, good connections, new RR and battery, it won't generate enough juice for two 55W lamps. So now, I use one as the low beam, and one as the high beam--makes aiming the lights more precise!

I should add: I have dual tail lights too. 8O

Good luck with your lighting!

mikedr
              81 850

Comment

Working...
              X