'81 GS850 Fuel Flow Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'81 GS850 Fuel Flow Problem

I have an interesting thing happening with my 850, I try to start the beast and it just cranks over and no fire this with the fuel on if I walk off and wait 20 to 30 minutes with the fuel on she crank right over and fires run good.
    Beside the petcock what else could be a problem.

Kinked fuel hose, petcock, blocked inline filter. Other than that there are no other real obstructions for fuel. Once it's in the carbs there would be different symptoms. HTH

Torry

Comment

Changed the petcock this passed weekend with a Pingle made problem worse now at a complete lose at what's going on

Comment

If you ride the bike with no problems and then shut it off, there should be plenty of fuel in the bowls for the next start up. I don't know why you'd have to wait.
        Anyway, since you have a new Pingel and you've capped off the vacuum port at carb #2, (right?), then first try cleaning the gas cap vent very well. There should be a ball you can hear rattling around if the design is similar to mine. This vent design can get clogged and fuel will not flow well from the tank to carbs.
        If this doesn't help, next thing would be to remove any aftermarket filter you may have. The fuel valve screen is all you need.
        Next would be the passages to the float chambers are partially clogged, or the screens above the float valves are clogged, or the floats valves are sticking and not allowing full flow.
        If the gas tank has any rust, it needs to be repaired first or this will happen again.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

What is this vacuum port on carb #2 for? I just rebuilt a set of carbs that had this open port, and I didn't know if it was supposed to go somewhere, or if I should just block it off????
          Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
          87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
          99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
          15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o..._Avatar1_1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 83GS1100E_Tornado
            What is this vacuum port on carb #2 for? I just rebuilt a set of carbs that had this open port, and I didn't know if it was supposed to go somewhere, or if I should just block it off????
            ??? I believe that #2 vacuum port connects to the vacuum port on the petcock....or are you using a Pingel?

Comment

Working...
            X