Exhaust Question # 2billion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust Question # 2billion

So I've just spent an hour or so wading throught the obscene number of threads on exhaust and didn't find an answer to my question.
    My bike has pod filters on it and I don't know if the guy that did it rejetted it or not. I'ts a pig down low, but starts instantly every morning when I've propped the choke (broken cable) and any time after that chokeless while it's still warm. I'd like a bit more exhaust sound as I can hear the intake noise from the pods over the exhaust any time. I wonder if evening out the exhaust wouldn't restore some bottom end since the intake has been free up anyhow.
    I'd like to keep factory duals if possible, mostly since I don't want to spend any money. I happen to build custom automotive exhaust for a living, but don't know anything about bikes.
    Can I get away with hacking my mufflers off and making them a bit louder or fabbing some pipes and mounting glasspacks or am I at the mercy of the aftermarket motorcycle gods?

i had pods on my 79 gs750 and stock exhaust. I know what you mean about hearing the intake over the exhaust. what i did was cut the mufflers off right after it went 2-1 on each side. i made slash cut tips and welded in a washer so it gave some backpressure and it wasnt rediculously loud. so the exhaust ends a bit shorter and looks cool i think. and i didnt really need to rejet that much more than i did for the pods. i just put in bigger pilot jets.

Comment

I recently acquired a GS1000 that was missing the megaphone from the V&H 4 into 1. It also has pods and it does have a stage 3 DynoJet jet kit.
      I made my own exhaust and connector pipe.

I have a shop that I build rollcages and stuff out of and sometimes do custom header type work. I took some 2" aluminized exhaust tubing and bent it , added a slip fit for the header, and routed it where I wanted it to go. Then I took some 3" stainless tube for the can, capped one end and then opend up the capped end for the 2 inch tubing. The can is about 18 inches long with a slant cut and curve added to the end. For a free flowing but yet some noise reduction, I slid the 2 inch tube up into the can 9 inches. The portion in the can has a bunch of holes drilled into and a 2 inch cap on the end with a 3/4" hole in it. I did the calculations on the hole's I drilled and I have over 2 1/2" of area for the gas to escape, besides the 3/4 hole. Sounds really good!

I have been using the Ceramcoat stuff that is sprayed on with a detail gun or airbrush, and then baked on. Looks like the same stuff factory coated headers come with. I am going to sandblast the whole shebang and coat it.

Comment

^^ Sounds cool.
        I got bored today and drilled four small holes in the ends of each muffler. It's a little growlier now and didn't seem to affect the performance of the bike any, but then my ride home is about two miles and I spent most of my time at stoplights. Going for a ride in a while and I'll know more after that. I like the idea of building my own mufflers. I have the skills and equipment to do so and might, but then afterward I'll still have an 850.
        I might wait for a quicker bike for that project.

Comment

If you get good at fabricating custom GS pipes, you can probably make some money here. The biggest problem with owning these bikes for the next 30 years will be tires and exhausts. The motors can be kept in shape, but stock and aftermarket exhausts are getting harder and harder to come by. Performance tires in our sizes are slowly fading away as well.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
            If you get good at fabricating custom GS pipes, you can probably make some money here. The biggest problem with owning these bikes for the next 30 years will be tires and exhausts. The motors can be kept in shape, but stock and aftermarket exhausts are getting harder and harder to come by. Performance tires in our sizes are slowly fading away as well.

This coming from the man that holds quite a few stock exhaust systems in his hands :-D
            Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
            2000 Kawasaki Concours
            Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Working...
            X