No steering lock on the Katana?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No steering lock on the Katana?

So I got this (new) old 82 1000SZ Katana. It seems odd that it doesn't have a position in the ignition where you can turn the key and lock the steering.

Am I missing something? I would sure hate to have someone put her in neutral and roll away.

What do you veteran Katana users due when you leave the bike outside and unattended?
    1982 GS1000S Katana
    1982 GS1100E

There's not a fork lock assy under the lower triple tree?

Comment

Yep, the steering lock is a seperate unit that is mounted on the left-hand side of the headstem tube. It protrudes about 1/2" and takes a seperate key from the one you use in the ignition lock.

Don't have a key for it? Not a great drama. The lock is still available as a spare part, so just order a newie (keys are included).

How do you get the old lock out? Easy; gently drill out the old one using a slow speed drill. It's all made out of brass so is fairly easy to remove.

Comment

Ahh yes I see the steering lock now. I do not have the key but will contact the seller to see if he has it. If not I will see what a lock smith can do or purchase a new one. Thanks all.
        Last edited by pano; 07-09-2006, 12:09 PM.
        1982 GS1000S Katana
        1982 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
        X