Hello all / general questions, opinions needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JustPlainJef
    Made a pit stop on the way home, not too thrilled, but I don't know any better, so I'll solicit the group...

Just checked the bike, CS Hi-Max tires, front is still fine, rear is still flat. I'll replace both if I can (front has air but has been sitting for two years, I think it got wheeled out of the garage once).

Tires recommended - Kendra or ChengShin (yeah, spelled wrong, I'm sure you know the ones). About $50 - $60 front, $60 - $70 rear. I forgot the models.
    $100 mounting if I buy the tires from them and take the bike in. $50 if I take in the rims.

Helmets - http://www.zamp-racing.com/rz-10.htm Zamp RZ-10, $159, 30% off, $110. They are the hang loose ones, which are a little busy for my liking, but I'd wear it, and it's 30% off. Are Zamp decent? Also had 3/4 face for $60, so like $40 after rebate, didn't get brand.

Couldn't get me rotors, but got me part number, told me to go salvage???

Called another place, $40 / tire mounting if bought through them. Dunlop K70 or D404, both tires about $90 in either set, so $180 + mounting = $260. OUCH!

Anyway, that's where I'm at. Thanks again for all the help guys!
    I put Kenda's on my 550 and are happy with them. I'm probably like you, not a crotch rocket, lots of highway riding. Can't tell you about mileage on the tires or about their rain performance but I am happy with them.

Comment

I didn't read evey post, but here is what I did with a derilect bike that had set in a barn for over 5 years. Start with the critical and work out.

1. Does the spark plug spark (use another pattery ... don't buy one 'til you know it will be worth fixing) If yes, the wiring is probably OK ... if not trouble shoot it.
      2. Will is fire by spraying starter fluid through the carb
      3. Will it run from the carb. You can use a funnel and hose for a temporary gas tank.
      4. Is the charging system working.
      5. Now you can work on the tires, signals, seat, etc.

A simple axiom to all this: Don't put a $500 paint job on the tank if the engine isn't running ... or buy $300 tires, etc.....

Comment

Oil

Got the bike titled / insured / licensed yesterday, then put about 25 or 30 miles on it around town. \\/ Would have ridden it to work, but it's gonna be nasty today... http://www.weather.com/weather/map/6...hour_map_large (As of 5:17 AM).

Anyway, on to the oil change... I'm at work, so I don't have the manual w/ me. 78 GS 750. Buddy said that in his Goldwing, he is supposed to use oil without friction reducing components because the clutch is in the oil. Is that the same w/ my GS? Also, are the friction reducing components the norm or the exception? I got some MobilClean 5000 at Wal*Mart the other day, planning on using that unless I'm not supposed to. Also, I grabbed three quarts, will that be enough?

And yes, I know this is all in the repair manual, and I am planning on reading it cover to cover soon, just not today (like I said, at work at the moment)...

Thanks guys, you ROCK! =D>

Comment

Working...
        X