Plastic side covers Repairs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plastic side covers Repairs?

I need to do some repairs on my 650E side covers. Is fiberglass the right method for plastic or is there something else? There are several cracks and a missing piece about 1" square.

For plastic, fiberglass will work but you might find a epoxy puddy a better adhesive to fill in the missing section. Put some screen behind the missing section. Use some super glue to tack the screen in place and fill in the area with either bindo puddy or with epoxy with fiberglass shreds mixed into it.
    Course you could check eBay for a new one or try Bike Bandit for a NOS part! Will look much better!
    GY

Comment

Thanks, I'll try bikebandit. I've had no luck so far in my search.

Comment

You can also try a place call Parts Depot in Vincentown, NJ. I bought several NOS parts from them including a pair of side frame covers fro my wife's GS850GLZ. Here's the number. (609) 859-4183.
        GY

Comment

I went to bike bandit. I'd never heard of them prior to this. They seem to have them in stock. I don't believe it. I thought they were discontinued. Where do they get this stuff? They have both sides, right color, WOW. Thanks for the tip on them. They are in my bookmarks now and just a click away.

Comment

Believe it or not some stuff is STILL available from Suzuki if you can find a dealership with a microfish.

Comment

We have a super dealer (that's what I call a dealer who sells all Japanese bikes). They want to sell new bikes and really are inept and getting old parts. The last time I dealt with them they told me that contact points for a 1977 Yamaha XT500 were no longer available through the dealer and I might as well part the bike out. Found points at another dealer and sold the bike running. I have not contacted the local dealer since, nor will I in the future. It's a pain to shop by phone but I'll deal with it or the internet. I spent a lot of time at bike bandit, I can't believe the stuff they have. I may contact other dealer to compare prices but bandit has a nice site.

Comment

I had good luck repairing the side cover on my 550 using JB Weld. I pulled off the cover and left the 'plug' in the hardened grommet. I understand this is a common problem, used the JB to build up the repaired area and it has worked great for at least 5 years.

Comment

Working...
                X