GS 1100 base gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 1100 base gasket

83 GS 1100 with 1166cc flattop pistons,this bike is a daily commuter.Its been together for about 3 months,and it is pushing the base gasket out.I removed the head once,reusing the cometic head gasket.The head is not leaking but the base certainly is.Im going to pull it apart this week,and replace gaskets.I always coat the base with high heat silicone,could this have caused the problem ?These gaskets are the fiber type.The ones I ordered are fiber base and graphite head gasket.To coat or not to coat ?

I use Cometic Suzuki Base Gasket .020 GS1325-1425CC Fiber. Do you know how thick your gasket is cause I prefer the .020 size over the smaller one. Those small ones are like piece of paper.

As for coating the only thing I coat is the copper head gasket. The rest just go on dry.
    Last edited by RacingJake; 07-10-2006, 10:47 PM.
    1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
    1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
    1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
    1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
    01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Hmm, base gaskets don't always enjoy a good reputation for these engines. That's why a lot of blokes cut their own from a sheet of copper. Base-gasket disintegration is also the cause of blocked oilways to the head (the oil has to choof along the underside of the gasket before shooting up the outer cylinder-head studs to the camshafts, etc.).

Sooo... either try another brand, or cut a copper one. I confess to never having done the latter -- but if ever my GS1100 base gasket gives up, I won't be mucking around!

Comment

Don't coat IMHO.

Comment

I had the same problem. Pushed that hunk of junk fiber gasket right out on the side. Starter dumping oil out onto my leg. I talked to cometic about it and they turned me onto a rubber coated aluminum gasket material. Works like a charm. This year I went a step further and blocked off the oil passages from the cases going up to the head. And also blocked the 4 passages in the head. Run a dry block this way. Oil gets up the the head thru the external oiling system.

Comment

Im thinking the sealer broke down at the base allowing it to blow out.Already ordered the .020 thk fiber base/graphite head,gonna assemble both dry.If it still leaks I'll put a 1/2" bead-o-weld on it,that'll fix'er!!! thanks, RR

Comment

Working...
            X