Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ring Job...and other things...

Reposting to the right forum....
    Hey gang! wanted to introduce myself...I just joined the forum. I live in MN and have an 81 550L with 17,000 miles.

My question is: A ring job was done last summer because the previous owner ran it low on oil....even with a dummy light...Anyway, 1500 miles after the ring job, and cyl hone she is still using a little oil. maybe a cup every 1000 miles. do you think the rings are still seating at this point?
    The powerband has absolutely no spikes or flat spots...it pulls evenly and consistantly through the entire powerband. idles at 1000, and with my 190LB burden, she happily cruises at 65mph/6000rpm with the throttle opened about 1/3rd with PLENTY of pull left. I bet she would give me 100mph if I had the nuts to try it!
    Also, she gives about 50mpg..is that about right for mostly freeway?

Albert

Your oil consumption sound high to me. What did the cylinder walls look like after you honed them? Any deep scratches to transport oil past the rings?
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Elves are stealing my oil!

The honing was done properly by a machine shop I trust...good crosshatch with no scratches... Also, no visible signs of exterior leaks, and no blue smoke in the exhaust....really strange! Maybe elves are stealing my oil a few drops at a time! Damn dirty elves....

Comment

You could be using oil through your valves.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Since you say its only been 1,500 miles since the repair work maybe you should wait a while longer before you estimate what its using every 1,000 miles.

Could be the valves seals or maybe it just needed the 8 ounces you guesstimated.

Sounds like you're enjoying so more power to ya.

Comment

With a "new" motor, or a ring job, it's not rpm to determine load it's also throttle opening.

There was a huge discussion on this a year or so ago.

IMHO I would give the motor some throttle. LIke close to wide open
            to out pressure in the cylinders and help seat those rings.
            Keith
            -------------------------------------------
            1980 GS1000S, blue and white
            2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism
              Your oil consumption sound high to me. What did the cylinder walls look like after you honed them? Any deep scratches to transport oil past the rings?
              A cup every 1000 miles? Maybe I'm thinking to much about an 1100, but that doesn't seem like high consumption to me. I'll go through a half quart between oil changes and I'm not the least concerned.

How much oil does a 550 take on a change with filter?
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
              X