Another GS1100 Carb Question . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another GS1100 Carb Question . . .

Reassembling my carbs and went to look for the manual so I can set the floats. I can't find it anywhere. I assume it is right where I left it thought! Could someone please give me the float specs while I continue my manual hunt? Thanks!

21.4-23.4 mm (0.84-0.92 in)
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks! Still can't find that manual!

Comment

Don't forget to check your float heights with the bike running and clear tubes afixed to the float bowl drains. My 1100's have been extremely sensative to float heights.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Tell me more about this procedure Jethro. Please
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366
            Tell me more about this procedure Jethro. Please
            I am curious also. Are you connecting the line at the drain on the fuel bowl then running then up to see a visible fuel level for each carb?

Comment

Originally posted by cozee
              I am curious also. Are you connecting the line at the drain on the fuel bowl then running then up to see a visible fuel level for each carb?
              Bingo. The measurement of the float bulb itself is intended to get you within range, but if you look in the shop manual you will see that float heights should be confirmed with a level gauge. Basically a clear tube attached some way to the float bowl drains, and held close to the carb body. I wish I had a scanner at home, becasue it will be hard to describe, but basically the float height range is within 5mm of the bottom of the carb body float bowl gasket surface. The bike should be running while performing this test, but I most often do it while the carbs are off the bike. I attach all four lines using special fittings that screw right into the drain. Then I attach my auxillery fuel tank and wait and watch. I'll get them perfect this way and then reattach the carbs with the lines still on the carbs to confirm while the bike is running. That way you know your float heights are as perfect as they can be.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Used to make "fuel gauges" on heavy equipment much the same way, the line ran back up to a fitting on the filler neck. Where did you get the fittings for the carb bowls?

Comment

Working...
                X