Engine noise worries.... help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine noise worries.... help please

Hi, ive got a gsx750 (Australian) 1982 model, 16 valve enigne. The engine seems to be making a noise which could be alikened to a knock noise. It is confusing though, because when i put the bike into gear and slowly release the clutch it goes away. Would i be right in assuming this is drive train related?? Could it be the backlash in the drive gear to the clutch basket or could it be a more lethal noise like a wrist pin or crank noise or are these engines just bloody noisy????

Thanks, :shock:

Most likely the famous GS clutch basket rattle. Make sure your cable is adjusted exactly as said in the manual- there needs to be freeplay. SOme of us increase our idle speeds just becasue of this. Not really something to worry about.

As far as the engine, after 50k miles on GS's I've learned the best way to solve the problem of these noisy, old, air cooled engines- ear plugs.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Well, they're air-cooled and getting a bit long in the tooth by now, so a bit of rattling (esp. on warm up) is OK.

And yes, the dreaded clutch rattle afflicts pretty-well all these machines, even if they don't have high mileage. The simple way to check for this is, does pulling in the clutch lever silence most of the rattle you can hear? If so, it's the clutch. If not, it may be something more ominous.

Comment

Try and identify where the noise is comming from.

You say that it goes away when the clutch is pulled in? As the guys have said these bikes DO have rattly clutch baskets. Mine had an awfull rattle like the crank was going to fall out the bottom of the lump. Pulled the oil filler cap and could hear the noise. Pulled the clutch apart, changed all the clutch bearing and the noise didn't go away. Finally, two months later, the starter clutch let go! Changed that and the noise dissapeared!

Its as much a game of trail and error. Trying to work out whats going on.

Suzuki mad
        GSX1100ESD 1983 Restored and running in
        GS1000E 1981

Comment

Why is it that after I read a thread about a certain problem, I notice the same thing on MY bike. Stop it! My bike does exactly the same thing. Hopefully it is nothing. I'll just put some earplugs in.

Comment

Yes, starter clutch bearings and the screws are another area of concern on GS's.
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
            X