Bike surges on the highway???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike surges on the highway???

ive searched and cant find exactly what im looking for, but here is my question.

When i am at highway speeds (~70mph) the bike tends to loose power in surges. Not like running out of gas, but more like im riding into a head wind in too high of gear (sorry, best description I can think of). I rebuilt the carbs recently, everything is ok there. Could i possibly need to adjust my mixture screws out a bit (currently 1.75 turns out). My air filter hasnt been changed recently, im going to try that first to see if that solves the problem.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

82 750T Stock

thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 07-12-2006, 03:57 PM.

Float height adjustment is critical (half a millimeter makes a difference), and you do have to re-adjust it if you install new needles. Just a thought.

Also, some have had varying success with removing or changing the location of the bowl vent hoses. If air is rushing past the open end of the hose, some strange things can happen.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

all my floats are in specs, i made sure of that. There were no needle changes, i replaced the orings and cleaned everything. The bike runs great, just seems to starve on the highway. I think you might be onto my problem, my vent tube is hangin out the side, definately in the wind. Hopefully that is it. I completely forgot about those causing problems.

Thanks
      Last edited by Guest; 07-13-2006, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Problem solved...It was the vent tubes. Once I routed them properly it ran fine.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          Float height adjustment is critical (half a millimeter makes a difference), and you do have to re-adjust it if you install new needles. Just a thought.

Also, some have had varying success with removing or changing the location of the bowl vent hoses. If air is rushing past the open end of the hose, some strange things can happen.
          Just had a similar problem. For some reason I'd read this thread a while back and luckily it came to mind when I needed it. Just got the 750 running GREAT, got out on the open road for its first long trip (2 hrs of highway riding), and it started bogging in high gear at speed. Pulled over, re-routed the vent hoses -- PROBLEM SOLVED! They were kinda hanging out the sides and very exposed to wind.

Thanks! This advice salvaged a good ride for me today -- I probably would have turned around and gone home otherwise.

Comment

Good call Brian (Keith). \\/
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
            X