??WTF is up With THIS.??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

??WTF is up With THIS.??

I just bought a 1980 suzuki gs750e for $200. it only has a couple problem, so it was a steal. The guy I bought it from had just cleaned the carbs Before i bought it. One problem that i was not able to figure out how to fix was a starting "issue". When I start it it will die about ten second later unless I hold on the throttle alittle (If i let go it will turn off 10 sec. later). If I try to pull on the throttle more than 50% it stumble and eventually shuts off unless it let off the throttle. It idles at 1000 rpm and the most i can get it up to is 2800 rpm at as much throttle that i can give it. What could be the problem?and how to fix it?

Try the choke Johnny.

Comment

clean the carbs yourself. you dont know how good of a job the guy before you did them. seems like some jets are clogged up.

Comment

Could be fuel flow issues with either the petcock or a kinked fuel line.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Take apart the carbs and clean all the jets. You dont know how he cleaned them. Some people's version of cleaning is just spraying carb cleaner in the bowls.
          1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

You've got a case of the "I-just-bought-a-used-bike,-so-how-do-I-get-it-road-worthy?" syndrome. Probably the most common topic in the Tech section of this forum.
            Answer: Verify everything yourself.
            The problems you're describing are typical of a bike that's been sitting for a while.
            I (and others) have posted a laundry list of items to check/verify in order to avoid hours (and hours and hours) of frustrating guessing games and wasted time/money.
            Do a search, follow the advice, and you'll be riding within a week or two (depending on how much time you can devote).

Comment

My advice? Start at the fuel pump and work towards the fire in order: Gas tank vent #1, petcock #2, fuel line #3, float heights #4...etc until you get to the combustion chamber.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Check the air filter and exhaust for blockages.

Comment

Working...
                X