Speedo needle at high speeds...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo needle at high speeds...

So umm over about 95 the speedo needle flies arround like crazy... waves back and forth and what not...

Is there anything I can do to fix this on a 78 550? Change a spring or something?

Watcha guys think?

TIA
    Simon

Wow my '80 GS850G's speedo doe sthat around 65 mph and only goes up to 85!!

Comment

The problem will solve itself at some point. Your speedo cable is going to break- I promise.

A new speedo cable will fix it.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

You can often lubricate the speedo cable and achieve a temporary improvement.

But a new cable is, what, maybe $12?
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

cool thanks for the input guys, i'll change the cable

Comment

The rev counter on my GS450 does the same thing, wavering around at anything over 8000 rpm. Does this mean the cable is going to break?

Comment

Originally posted by steve-lloyd
              The rev counter on my GS450 does the same thing, wavering around at anything over 8000 rpm. Does this mean the cable is going to break?
              Well, it will break at some point, that's true for everyone... what is happening is the cable gets old and it twists and winds up more than new. The inner cable has a little resistance on the outer casing and the twisting/rubbing casues a pulsing which you see at the needle. The speedo is actually a very low tech device, basically a wire attached to the front wheel that spins a wheel inside the gauge. The wheel has a certain amount of resistance built into that with a spring.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
              X