New Carbs!!! Thanks Arveejay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Carbs!!! Thanks Arveejay

Finally got new carbs after the PO had totally screwed them up. The power response is wonderful. Works great as a tug for a Eagle Spirit of America sidecar!

Only issue is idle. Can't get her to idle for very long. No matter what the idle know is set at, after running then stopping at a light idles up near 2-3K and then after about 30s drops to 1100 and then begins to slowly drop and die if I don't give a little gas. Any ideas.

Adjust the idle mixture screws to the highest rpm method and do a carb sync. Check for intake leaks.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Sounds like you still have an intake leak somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by arveejay
        Sounds like you still have an intake leak somewhere.
        Where are the culprits area's?

Comment

Areas to check are, where manifolds bolt to engine, rubber which attaches to front and rear of carbs, where rubber attaches to airbox (must be sealed tight), where filter attaches to airbox(filter must sit tight in box), lid to box must be sealed, no extra holes or cracks in airbox. If filter is not OEM (k&n is not OEM) it will flow too much air for factory jets.

Comment

Areas to check are, where manifolds bolt to engine, rubber which attaches to front and rear of carbs, where rubber attaches to airbox (must be sealed tight), where filter attaches to airbox(filter must sit tight in box), lid to box must be sealed, no extra holes or cracks in airbox. If filter is not OEM (k&n is not OEM) it will flow too much air for factory jets.
            Filter is OEM. This is how it runs. RPM's will fluctuate about 200. It will idle low 1100 and I can get it to stay there with idle adjustment. It will not creep up. After running it idles at about 2500. if I sit for a while it drops down or if I turn the idle adjustment just a tinge lower it drops.

The idle does not keep creeping i.e. the telltale sign of an airleak. It just stays either high or about 1100 and then slowly creeps down. All plugs look the same and good. Checked for airleaks today didn't see anything obvious and also tried wd40 spray test. Kinda at a loss.

The only other thing I can think of is that I have the vacuum hose plugged because my diaphragm on the petcock decided to implode so is either straight open or closed (filed off the tip of handle to be able to turn petcock off).

What else can I check?

Comment

I'm at a loss, is your throttle cable having a little play in it? Choke rod returning all the way?

Comment

I'm at a loss, is your throttle cable having a little play in it? Choke rod returning all the way?
                I'll double check cables....might just replace, they are old....let you know soon.

Comment

Working...
                X