Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 450L charging system problem

Hey all,

Well I've noticed lately that the charging system was acting up, and recently it stopped charging altogether.

The bike puts out around 12 volts at idle, and still puts out 12 volts at 5K rpm.

I did a continuity test on the R/R and everything seems fine. I then did a no-load alternator test, and one of the three tests came back dead. The other two were putting out around 60-75 volts AC.

So, I imagine there is a problem with the alternator. My manual doesn't have any info on how to work on the alternator, so I turn to you.

Do I have to take this into the shop, or is there something I can try here at home first?

Thanks!

Maybe your manual has something on a stator? That's what they call the charging device (generator). If you have one dead lead it should be replaced, you need all 3 working. Its not a tough job, its just inside the left (sitting on the bike) engine cover. Best you replace the stator before it affects your regulator. Also if you don't have an impact driver this would be a good time to get one, those case screws can be a pain and the heads strip easily.

Comment

Actually my bike has bolts, not impact screws. Is working on the stator something I can do, or do I need to replace the whole thing? (On AlphaSports the stator is $154.44, so I'm not anxious to replace the whole thing).

Also, I'm a little leery of opening up the engine cover, as when I replaced the oil filter the screws just tore up that aluminum and I don't want to go through that mess again.

Comment

From where did you measure the stator? From the wires that come straight out of the stator, or from the joint that is near the regulator? If later, did you have your lights on? The third phase comes normally through the light switch, and it is possible, that it has some malfunction, or a broken wire somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Tervo
          From where did you measure the stator? From the wires that come straight out of the stator, or from the joint that is near the regulator? If later, did you have your lights on? The third phase comes normally through the light switch, and it is possible, that it has some malfunction, or a broken wire somewhere.
          I measured it at that joint above the regulator. I will definitely check out the wiring then, before I do anything else.

Also, I didn't see a way to measure it right out of the stator, it's in a braided cover that runs up along the frame.

Comment

If you can't get a reading off the 3rd leg after retesting I am pretty sure you can replace the stator yourself. The hardest part may be removing the stator from the cover (I was lucky enough to get a cover and a stator together off ebay ).

Just drain the oil, pop off the cover, replace stator, scrape old gasket off cover and block, apply new gasket and rebolt the cover back on. Its not all that involved (as far as I can remember, nothing traumatic happened when I did it or I'd have remembered LOL).

Comment

Working...
            X