Replacing 82 GS450T Oil-filter-cover stud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing 82 GS450T Oil-filter-cover stud

I have a stripped stud on my oil filter cover. It is visibly stripped compared to the other studs.

How do I get it out of the engine housing, and where do I get a replacement???

You can try the double-nut method to remove the stud (provided you re-tap the threads), or you can use the vise-grip-real-tight method. I have used both with good success. As for the replacement, take the old one with you to the hardware store or automotive parts house and get a metric replacement and some red loctite.

Comment

If you have trouble with the two methods above you can have a nut welded to the stud. Keep in mind it is possible for a sloppy welder to seize your engine. It would also be bad if he were to strike the rod on a piece of aluminum.

Steve

Comment

Well, I went to Sears and got a set of 3 visegrips...

I'm gonna try to use them to turn it out...

Then I'll see about finding a new stud (on 26/Dec...), and such...

As for red locktite, isn't that the 'might-as-well-have-welded-this, cause it ain't comin off' stuff??

Comment

Red Loctite works good, but I have gotten many off using the vise grip method without a problem. But then again, once you replace them, why would you ever want to remove them again?

Comment

Working...
          X