Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna coil hookup mistake

Hello to all,

I have a question regarding correct dyna coil hookup. I have a 1978 GS750.

I removed my old coils and mounted the new coils using the old coil hardware. I followed the coil hookup instructions to the best of my ability, only I was able to mount them with the connection posts facing the rear of the bike. Everything mounted OK, spark plug wires measured out well and primary wire (orange with white stripe ...right?) attachment screwed into the coil (instructions said it didn't matter which hole it was screwed into). I checked and made sure that the orange and white wire for 1 and 4 went to the appropriate coil, and that 2 and 3 got its orange and white wire. The white and black wires that connected to the original coils were left dangling (no instructions on where to put them).

I don't have any spark on coil 1-4 or coil 2-3. Was I supposed to use the white and black wires? Do they attach to the new coils somewhere?

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-13-2006, 12:46 PM.

Each coil has two inputs, and two outputs. The inputs are from the ignitor box (orange and white and black and white) the outputs to the plugs. You left the black and white wire loose, but it attaches just as the orange and white wire, either just above it or just below it.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Ah, so the connection position absolutely does not make a difference?

On remembering there was a wiring diagram in my owner's manual, I checked it. Black and white are the connection to the points... no wonder it wasn't firing.

Comment

The orange and white wires from your wiring harness are both 12v positive. They supply power to the coils. It does not matter which coil you put which orange/white wire on. It also does not matter which terminal of the coil the orange/white wire connects to. Orange/white is 12v positive power input to the coil. The other terminal on the coil is the output side. The left coil normally has its spark plug wires connected to the 1 and 4 cylinders. The right coil has its spark plug wires connected to the 2 and 3 cylinders. The black and white wires are signal wires that come from the crankshaft ignition trigger. The black and white wire positions DO matter. The left side of the crankshaft trigger fires the 1,4 cylinders and the right side crankshaft trigger fires the 2,3 cylinders. Usually, the black wire is connected to the left crankshaft trigger and is to be connected to the left coil. The white wire comes from the right crank trigger, and connects to the right coil. I would remove the three screws holding the 6" cover on the right end of the crankshaft and look at the crank triggers to check that indeed the black wire is on the left side and the white wire is on the right side of the trigger modules. some people have been known to install the wiring colors backwards when installing or working on ignition modules. LOL

Earl

Originally posted by ZacharyB
        Ah, so the connection position absolutely does not make a difference?

On remembering there was a wiring diagram in my owner's manual, I checked it. Black and white are the connection to the points... no wonder it wasn't firing.
        Last edited by earlfor; 07-14-2006, 12:23 PM.
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Cool, OK. I know the white wire goes to 1-4 and the black wire goes to 2-3, that's how they were on the original coils. I'm referring to the ambiguity of the two vertically-placed screw-in connections on each dyna coil. They aren't marked at all. I don't know how to tell where to put the orange white wire and white or black wire, if placement matters per coil. I don't know that much about electricity so I wasn't able to put it past myself that I could interchange the two wires, one of which seems to be ground (to the points) and the other power (to the ignition switch).

Come to think of it, is every ignition coil like this? I understand that if there is simply a winding inside the coil that is being shorted out every time the points open, creating the spark through the high-tension lead, it wouldn't matter which wire is where. So.. the + and - signs on most coils don't really mean anything?
          Last edited by Guest; 07-14-2006, 05:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ZacharyB
            Cool, OK. I know the white wire goes to 1-4 and the black wire goes to 2-3, that's how they were on the original coils. I'm referring to the ambiguity of the two vertically-placed screw-in connections on each dyna coil. They aren't marked at all. I don't know how to tell where to put the orange white wire and white or black wire, if placement matters per coil. I don't know that much about electricity so I wasn't able to put it past myself that I could interchange the two wires, one of which seems to be ground (to the points) and the other power (to the ignition switch).

Come to think of it, is every ignition coil like this? I understand that if there is simply a winding inside the coil that is being shorted out every time the points open, creating the spark through the high-tension lead, it wouldn't matter which wire is where. So.. the + and - signs on most coils don't really mean anything?
            You are correct -- which wire goes to which terminal where on Dyna coils does not matter.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks very much for everyone's help!

Comment

Working...
              X