Carb idle questions, need advice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb idle questions, need advice!

My '82 gs650g has been off the road for 2 years, here's what I've done so far before cranking her up.

- Valve shim adjustments - all within spec, cylinder 4 intake and exhaust slightly loose; new cam cover gasket

- Drained and replaced oil and final drive oil and replaced filters

- Drained gas, removed & cleaned petcock (all ok, no rust or crud)
    -Cleaned carbs and replaced o rings and gaskets per the Carb Cleaning series. Bench synched them.
    -Replaced intake boot o - rings and all fuel and vacuum hoses
    -Torqued all bolts on the bike to Clymer manual recommendations.
    -New throttle, choke, clutch cable
    -Cleaned and reoiled Uni foam air filter

Bike has stock exhaust and airbox, jetting is all standard, low idle/air screws are set at 1 1/2 turns right now.

Bike starts right up, once warm the idle slowly climbs to about 1700 - 1900 rpm. If I blip the throttle, it drops down to where I have it set, about 1100, but then climbs back up to the 1700 range. I haven't synched the carbs yet, could this be the cause? My plan for the weekend was to synch as best as I can with the funny idle speed, reset the low idle screws for max idle, and then resynch. Is this a good plan to get this bike back on the road before summer is gone. Anything else any of you gurus might be able to think of that I should check to solve the idle issue?

Haven't checked compression yet, but before it was stored compression was good and other than the idle, she sounds great. Will check this over the weekend as well.

Thanks for any pointers you all can offer.

JimminyCricket

Do the new choke and throttle cables have a little slack in them? Sounds like one of them is hanging up.

Comment

Originally posted by JimminyCricket
      My '82 gs650g has been off the road for 2 years, here's what I've done so far before cranking her up.

- Valve shim adjustments - all within spec, cylinder 4 intake and exhaust slightly loose; new cam cover gasket

- Drained and replaced oil and final drive oil and replaced filters

- Drained gas, removed & cleaned petcock (all ok, no rust or crud)
      -Cleaned carbs and replaced o rings and gaskets per the Carb Cleaning series. Bench synched them.
      -Replaced intake boot o - rings and all fuel and vacuum hoses
      -Torqued all bolts on the bike to Clymer manual recommendations.
      -New throttle, choke, clutch cable
      -Cleaned and reoiled Uni foam air filter

Bike has stock exhaust and airbox, jetting is all standard, low idle/air screws are set at 1 1/2 turns right now.

Bike starts right up, once warm the idle slowly climbs to about 1700 - 1900 rpm. If I blip the throttle, it drops down to where I have it set, about 1100, but then climbs back up to the 1700 range. I haven't synched the carbs yet, could this be the cause? My plan for the weekend was to synch as best as I can with the funny idle speed, reset the low idle screws for max idle, and then resynch. Is this a good plan to get this bike back on the road before summer is gone. Anything else any of you gurus might be able to think of that I should check to solve the idle issue?

Haven't checked compression yet, but before it was stored compression was good and other than the idle, she sounds great. Will check this over the weekend as well.

Thanks for any pointers you all can offer.

JimminyCricket
      Did you replace the boots also?Are they on the carbs good and clamps snugged down not crancked down?I would guess an intake leak,but lets see what everybody else says.These would be things to look at though.
      Last edited by Guest; 07-15-2006, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Take a can of brakekleen or WD and spray the intake boots with the engine running. Any change in engine speed indicates they're sucking in air which will present the symptoms your describing. Do this outside:-)

Comment

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

sound similar to my issue. Check the air box ends, I just weather stripped them too and idle appears much better after 10 minutes of running in the garage (while blowing a fan on the motor). I'll take a spin later and report back.

Comment

Sounds like an intake leak.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Oh. And you can't vacuum synch with an intake leak or adjust the mixture screws. Waste of time.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Keith,did you get your elec. problem fixed?

Comment

Originally posted by tconroy
                  Keith,did you get your elec. problem fixed?
                  Do you mean me? I ain't got no stinking electrical problem.

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
                    Do you mean me? I ain't got no stinking electrical problem.
                    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! SWEET!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X