What about ignition advance . . ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about ignition advance . . ?

I have not done much with ignition timing, well, not since I had to fuss with breaker points (20+ years ago).

Recently I have looked at my "signal generators" on my 82 GS1100GK. Doesnt seem to be any thing that is moveable like I remember for the timing advance. Is there no such mechanical thing, is the advance acomplished electronically in the ignitior module? The manual says about timeing being advanced so many degrees at certain rpm and so many other degress at other rpm, but doesnt seem to say how that is accomplished.
    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

The stock electronic ignition is not adjustable. Aftermarket replacements such as Dyna are adjustable.

For a stock bike, there isnt anything to be gained by advancing the timing anyhow. Actually, advancing timing results in a little rougher idle and sometimes pre-ignition ping on hot days.
    It will be slightly beneficial if you run redline rpm + a lot though. LOL

Earl

Originally posted by Redman
    I have not done much with ignition timing, well, not since I had to fuss with breaker points (20+ years ago).

Recently I have looked at my "signal generators" on my 82 GS1100GK. Doesnt seem to be any thing that is moveable like I remember for the timing advance. Is there no such mechanical thing, is the advance acomplished electronically in the ignitior module? The manual says about timeing being advanced so many degrees at certain rpm and so many other degress at other rpm, but doesnt seem to say how that is accomplished.
    Last edited by earlfor; 07-13-2006, 10:00 PM.
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

There is a mechanical timing advance mechanism behind the metal plate...

It's the bit of hardware in the upper-right of the picture there. It usually gives no trouble, but if ever you're burrowing in there a clean up and a fresh smear of grease here and there is a good idea.

Comment

Thanks guys. With new found confidence I have looked further into the ignition timing with idea of inspecting the timing advance mechanisim.

Am looking for possible causes of it not having all the power I think it should. Have worked thru a few other possible causes with help fropm here on GSR with some improvement. And one thing I want to verrify is that the timing advance is functional, not bound up somehow, am not attempting to adjust the timing.

Here is pic of what I have found so far

(click for larger image)

That plate seems to have seals around the outer diameter and the inner diamater. Hum....
        Last edited by Redman; 07-17-2006, 05:27 PM.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Uh... that's different to the picture I posted... OK...

Went to www.alpha-sports.com and looked at their online microfiche. Here's the CORRECT picture for your bike:

I'm sorry for feeding you bung info. there Redman. It seems the ignition advance for the GK must be electronically handled? Full microfiche pictures can be found here.

Mike.
          Last edited by Guest; 07-17-2006, 08:05 PM.

Comment

It appears your bike has the electronic advance function built into it. MY 85 1150E was also manufactured with an electronic advance. (no advance counterweight mechanism) You do NOT want to mess with the plate that has seals around the outer diameter and inner diameter. Messing with your crankshaft oil seals can cause very BAAAD drippies. LOL On your bike, neither ignition timing nor advance function is adjustable.

E.

Here is pic of what I have found so far

(click for larger image)
            [ATTACH]818[/ATTACH]

That plate seems to have seals around the outer diameter and the inner diamater. Hum....

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Okay, thanks guys.

Taint no mechanical advance, so no flyweights and springs to check. That is the conclusion I am comming too. Looked at microfisch for the signal generator, and for the cranksahft, and the crankcase and a few others, didnt see any such thing anywhere.
              So I will not try to pull out that other cover behind the signal generator.

Next two things on my list to check:
              - valve shim clearance.
              - exhaust & intake cam timing.
              Last edited by Redman; 07-17-2006, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Thats where I would go, plus doing a compression check on all cylinders.

E.

Next two things on my list to check:
                - valve shim clearance.
                - exhaust & intake cam timing.

Comment

Working...
                X