What won't vibrate loose!?!?!?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What won't vibrate loose!?!?!?!?

I have just spent a very frustrating evening to try to nail down the source of a "jingle" coming from the engine area on my 82 GK. I replaced the clutch plates about 2 months ago and was afraid I had missed torquing a bolt or something. Everything was in its place and nothing was damaged. So I go for a test ride and the noise was not gone but the frequency had changed. And . . . . . while searching one more time for anything loose, I found it. Somewhere around here is a very lonely exhaust header bolt . The remaining bolt was half out and the flange was hanging loose. Question is, when I get a new bolt (I plan on getting one out of a salvage GS) should I put anything on the bolt threads before I put it back in (i.e. anti-seize or Loctite)? I have all new exhaust gaskets but was saving them for a real need. I'm hoping to just put the bolts back in and move on.

Yea, I would loctite it. Get a tube of the blue stuff. I have yet to find a need for the red. Plain tightened nuts and even lock washers don't seem to work very well on "hanging" items such as exhausts, luggage racks and fairings.

Comment

Use anti seize on the exhause bolts NOTHING else

Comment

bolt

One bolt, one spring washer and anti-sieze THATS ALL. Just make sure there both done up even per pipe

Comment

Use lots and lots and lots of very good anti-sieze. As stated above, the bolt and a new lock washer and anti-sieze are all you should use.

FWIW, Lok-Tite does not work at high temperatures, so it would be useless on an exhaust bolt. And on lower temperature parts, blue and red Lok-Tite can quickly destroy soft aluminum threads. Don't use that stuff on your GS.

There's a low-strength green Lok-Tite that can be used for small fasteners in soft metal like aluminum, but it's incredibly rare -- I've never actually found it on the shelf anywhere.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks guys. I never used Loctite on car manifolds etc but wasn't sure about aluminum/bikes with the extra vibration. I never spent this much time getting to "know" a bike before. Of course, I stopped at Walmart to get oil etc and completely forgot about the bolt or anti-sieze compound. Guess I get to make a trip into town after all. The previous owner switched all the header bolts out for allen head cap screws but I'm pretty sure Home Depot carries them. Maybe I'll wait till the temp gets below 100.

Comment

UPDATE:
              I just bought a tube of green Lok-Tite in an Autozone!

As stated above, Lok-Tite has no business on your exhaust bolts, but this might be useful info for those with valve cover or case bolts that are trying to escape.

Back to your regularly scheduled program...
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

AND ONE MORE UPDATE! I can't finish up on the bike for working on the cages. Took the car to the shop yesterday, tranny cratered, battery cratered on the truck a couple of hours ago. Fortunately it was only 2 blocks away. I've been trying all day to put a new rear tire on the GK. The heat got to me and I've got to feeling kinda sick but am feeling some better now. Re-torqed the header bolts so I'll be ready to rock once the tire is on. I'm thinking about buying a 73 Vega. Oh wait, the heat must be getting to ne again :? .

Comment

Working...
                X