Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Popping sound from Exhaust - GN250

Hi,

Being non technical, a mech has done a bottom end overhaul, change the rubber thing between the carb and engine block(could have touch the carb - dunno). The thumper now emits a popping sound on deceleration. Its not as strong on idle and on the move its not as cheerful and need more throttle the usual. The power onset is not as instantaneous. Its a subtle problem that just need to gotten ride off to sweeten the engine.

Oh, I am from the sunny island of Singapore, South East Asia. There are hardly any GS here. I did own 2 gsx1100g's, one of which joined its brothers in the sky. Most of these oldies are by now weather beaten in the tropical weather and not worth the hassle. So, I settle for a still in production gn250, where some soul of the Big Suz still lives.

My '83 750E had popping on Decel. I've been told that it is a lean condition.
    Also, mine could have been a slight exhaust leak. But I still had it with a new exhaust. Not bad - but present.

Unless it's really bad - I'd not worry. However - do a plug read to make sure you are not Super Lean.
    If you had the Intake boots replaced, I'd think that would have richened your bike up a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by gargantua
      Hi,

Being non technical, a mech has done a bottom end overhaul, change the rubber thing between the carb and engine block(could have touch the carb - dunno). The thumper now emits a popping sound on deceleration. Its not as strong on idle and on the move its not as cheerful and need more throttle the usual. The power onset is not as instantaneous. Its a subtle problem that just need to gotten ride off to sweeten the engine.

Oh, I am from the sunny island of Singapore, South East Asia. There are hardly any GS here. I did own 2 gsx1100g's, one of which joined its brothers in the sky. Most of these oldies are by now weather beaten in the tropical weather and not worth the hassle. So, I settle for a still in production gn250, where some soul of the Big Suz still lives.
      You need to replace the exhaust gaskets in the cylinder. Very common occurance.

Comment

Crackle on downshift

my 83 gs750e crackles n pops alot when i down shift i don't mind it, didn't think much of it till i read that i could be lean. I might have an exhaust leak as my poor baby only has 7 bolts holding her header on. I'm taking off the carbs to soak and be cleaned any tips for setup would be great.

Always one bolt!

Comment

gn250

Problem still not resolve. More on the symptoms..it requires a lot of throttle to get bike going. I could go full throttle and the speed would be just around crusing speed. Also, at speed to make further accelearation, I would have to throttle it gradually and the power will kick in. A swifter throttle opening does nothing significant then a gradual throttle.

Could be the carb diaphragm?

Comment

Originally posted by gargantua View Post
            Problem still not resolve. More on the symptoms..it requires a lot of throttle to get bike going. I could go full throttle and the speed would be just around crusing speed. Also, at speed to make further accelearation, I would have to throttle it gradually and the power will kick in. A swifter throttle opening does nothing significant then a gradual throttle.

Could be the carb diaphragm?
            Your carbs need to be dipped and cleaned. You most likely have plugged jets from debris and rust, another VERY common occurance on 25 year old bikes.

Comment

The first thing (and simplest) to check is the air cleaner filter. You need one.

It must fit in place.

A missing, warped, or broken air filter will allow too much air into the carburetor and will cause a lean fuel mixture which, in turn, will produce all the concerns you mentioned.
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
              X