Big dead spot on acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got a 82' GS300LZ i just finished cleaning up after it sat for 6 years.
    the carbs have been cleaned and feel theres no problem with them.
    my problem is sometines the bike will have a dead spot at about 1/8 to 1/4 of throttle.
    when the engine warms up the problems leaves.
    i thought it may be the fuel cock diaphram but it checks good with no leakdown showing in testing.
    this happens mainly at takeoff from dead stop and sometimes during initial acceleration.
    anyone got any idea's?

ole timer with a new toy in NC

If it doesn't do it at warm up you have no problem. Bikes run leaner when cold and you're starving for fuel.
    Last edited by chef1366; 07-24-2006, 06:20 PM.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

my problem is it takes andout 5-15 minutes of riding for the engine to warm up.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366
        If it doesn't do it at warm up you have no problem. Bikes run richer when cold and you're getting too much fuel.
        Actually, the opposite is true.
        A motor runs leaner when still cold. That's why choking a cold motor is necessary. As it warms up, it runs richer. Choking a hot motor will kill it.
        His problem sounds like a lean mixture. It shouldn't warm up that slowly.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I knew that. What was I thinking?
          Last edited by chef1366; 07-14-2006, 09:20 PM.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Is the intake and exhaust completely stock?
            Are the airbox seals in good condition? Lid still on?
            Are the rubber boots between carbs and airbox in good condition and the clamps snugged down?
            Is the air filter in good condition and, if foam, oiled correctly?
            What rpm does it idle at when fully warmed up? Should be about 1,100 rpm's.
            If the above is good, try adjusting the mixture screws out an ADDITIONAL 1/2 turn and test. Do you know how far out they currently are?
            If none of the above help, I think your pilot circuit is still partially dirty.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

every thing is dead stock.
              i'm using NGK plugs.
              the air filter is new and oiled as per suzuki.
              i have no idea of what the rpm is other than it sound about 1000 rpm.
              the boots are in good shape as i checked them while i had the engine
              off the bike.
              i don't know where the air screws are set but will check them tommorrow.
              it take a few minute for the problem to stop.
              i rode this afternoon for a little trip 10 mikes or less and it took and few miles for the problem to stop.
              when it's happening i can hold the throddle steady and the bike will smooth out and run normal till i try to accelerate.
              it runs pretty well at idle when cold, soi ahv'nt suspected the air mixture screw setting.
              the carbs are clean enough to eat out of.
              i do have a 5/16 clear plastic fuel filter installed but have no kinks in the line and the fuel flows free.

Comment

Then I'd try adjusting the mixture screws a little richer as I said. Simple to do and you can keep a record and return them to their current position if you don't like the results.
                If you cleaned the carbs completely, you should have removed the mixture screws and it would figure you would set them again to at least a "ballpark" setting? If you didn't remove them, the carbs aren't truly cleaned.

Comment

i wrote down all the previous setting as i tore down the carb.
                  i'll try tuning the setting a little richer.
                  thanks for all the imput.
                  scott
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-14-2006, 10:44 PM.

Comment

i found it.
                    i tore down the carbs and cleaned them again and while puting them back on i found something i feel was my problem.
                    the spark plug wire was not screwed on the resistor cap and had a 3/8 or more gap for the spark to jump.
                    i finished the carbs and fixed the plug cap and she runs fine now.
                    thanks for all the help.
                    scott
                    82' GS300LZ\\/

Comment

Working...
                    X