I need a 1980 or 1981 GS 550 wiring diagram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a 1980 or 1981 GS 550 wiring diagram

Hi, I'm a newcomer to GS Resources. This looks like a very active board with lots of helpful members!

Can anyone supply me with a scanned image of a 1980 or 1981 GS550T, GS550L, or GS550X wiring diagram? My thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

I don't have a scanner but the Clymer 550 manual is still available and has a good wiring diagram for most models including the 80 models.

Comment

Steven,

I have a diagram of a 1978/79 GS550. The type with the breaker points.
      Don't suppose there are much other differences. If you're interested, just send me an email and I'll send it over.

Comment

jojo, thanks for the offer, but I'm specifically interested in the wiring of the CDI box and the solid state signal generator. I guess I'll go look for a manual at the local bike shops.

Comment

Hey Merry Christmas. I'm away from my manual until Jan 2, but I have a manual for a 1981 GS550. It has the CDI and pickup coils wiring. If you're having problems with it let me know. I bought by bike with no start and it turned out to be the CDI that was the problem - they're very expensive. I ended up installing points and condensers and it worked great. A dyna S is another alternative. If you want details let me know.

Craig

Comment

Thanks Craig. I am doing a hack motor swap on my 1980 GS 250T and installing a 1981 GS 550 (4 valve) motor. With the help of my new Lincoln Sp 135 + Mig, it won't be a big deal making the 550 bolt up to the 250 frame. The GS 250 and GS 550 use the same CDI, if you can believe it, and I had the 250 running before, so the CDI I have should be fine. If not, I pick them up for $10 apiece on ebay. New those things are like $350! I think I will be able to figure out the wiring of the CDI and the signal generator since I have a complete factory shop manual for the 250. I'll let you know if I have any questions. Thanks a lot for your help!

Steve

Comment

No problem. If you want a diagram just let me know.

Craig

Comment

Working...
              X