Can you fix a leaking intake boot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you fix a leaking intake boot?

1980 GS550E. One of the intake boots came loose taking the carbs off. Is there some kind of sealant that will hold the rubber part on instead of trying to get those rusted/probibly impossible screws off?

I know taking those screws off will be almost impossible. Only one boot at the engine side came back with the carb a little so I know it will leak a little.

Someone told me high temp silicone will work. Is that true?

Thank you all so much!!!
    -Chris

i once rigged up my old 450 with stuff called SEAL ALL they sell at walmart. its $2. its mostly a gas tank sealant but it becomes like a hard plastic when its cured. i put it in between the pieces of the intake boot and let it sit for a day. but honestly, its less stressful to just buy a new intake boot for $25.

Comment

Intake boots cannot be repaired. They must be replaced when they crack or separate.

Silicone products deteriorate within minutes in the presence of gasoline and gasoline vapor. Epoxies become hard and crumble and flake off.

Cough up the dough for new boots so you can forget about them for another 20 years. It's just something every GS rider must do at some point, and the risks of badly damaging your bike's engine are quite real.

Petcocks are another pet peeve of mine -- to avoid spending $50 or $60 on the new petcock every GS needs after 20 years, some people will spend months of frustration and effort and risk severe engine damage. I don't understand this type of magical thinking.

Anyway, replace those intake boots and don't forget the o-rings!
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I'll second that. Don't even attempt to fix them, it's a waste of time.

Comment

thanks...

But for a guy without too many tools any tips on trying to get those bolts off without stripping them? I've never had too much luck getting off stripped bolts or having to drill them out.

Anyway to keep this inexpensive?

Thanks so much... you guys are great.

-Chris Miller

Comment

Originally posted by goingtothedesert
            But for a guy without too many tools any tips on trying to get those bolts off without stripping them? I've never had too much luck getting off stripped bolts or having to drill them out.

Anyway to keep this inexpensive?

Thanks so much... you guys are great.

-Chris Miller
            Chris
            I removed all 4 boots this Friday. Only got two of the 8 bolts out. Per the advice I read on this column, I went to Advanced Auto Parts and paid $30 and bought a hand impact wrench. I used the biggest phillips head bit I could fit on it, gave it a couple of whacks, and they all came out real easy. I'm talking about 10 minutes to get the remaining 6 out and I had never used one before.
            My $.02.

-Rory

Comment

Good News!!!

I guess I should try something before I get all worried about it. I put a perfect fitting phillips bit onto my socket wrench and gave it a few good wacks with my hammer so it fit in nice and to "shock" the bolt a little bit.

All of the bolts came off perfectly. No trouble. No stripping, No need for hacksawing, ect... I hope this post helps someone else though. I'm sure someone will have to deal with rusted bolts. Why would they put phillips heads on there instead of Allen bolts? Silly Suzuki...

Thanks for all your help guys. Now I just have to find the best price on those intake boots and try not to let them get screwed up putting the carbs back on.

-Chris

Comment

You can drill the heads off and remove the boots, then the stump of the bolt usually comes out easily with locking pliers.

You can also cut a slot in the screw heads with a Dremel tool or hacksaw, then use the slot with a straight blade screwdriver bit in your impact driver.

One way or another, they must come out. If it's any consolation, they rarely sieze and break off completely like exhaust bolts.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                X