• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter button dead

i had to replace throttle cable recently when it broke
    then went to start i have all dash lights horns indicators
    etc ,
    but is dead when i hit starter buttton , have had starter
    checked relay ok aswell and unsure what to check next .

Check the kill switch.

(I would never admit to spending 10 minutes recently in the cold and dark before work poking around the soleniod, only to realise I'd bumped the kill switch the previous evening while parking the bike in the shed)

blush

Comment

With the key on, (kill switch on also), clutch in, try jumping the solenoid with a screw driver. If it starts than there's something amiss with your start button.

Comment

thanks
        for the tip i tried the screwdriver relay jump
        started fine
        im starting to think its a faulty stater button.
        or try testing it somehow , the kill switch is in the off
        position.

Comment

I had a intermittent problem with the starter not working too. I found the problem by pressing the starter button with the ignition on and wiggling the wires going into the headlight housing. It turned out to be a loose connection with the wire coming from the starter button to where it connects to the main wiring harness. Ted

Comment

Don't know if your model has one but there is a clutch lever safety switch. You need to pull in the clutch to get the starter to operate on some of the later models. The switch is actually under the handlebars and is the same as the brake light switch on the other side. The wires go into the headlight housing and lots of guys just jumper this switch out. I fixed mine but it took some dinking around to get it set right. Like said also check the rest of the wires in the headlamp housing as one connector was all melted in there on mine, due to a bad R/R. Good Luck.

Comment

Since it sounds like the problem just started after changing the throttle cable, I'd suspect a bad connection within the switch asembly itself. Disconnect battery, open the switch up again and check for continuity across the wires at the button when depressed. If no continuity across the switch, clean the contacts (pretty simple with switch disassembled) and try again. If there is continuity, then check voltage to the switch with the battery reconnected. If there is not battery voltage, trace the wiring to the ignition. If battery voltage is present, trace wiring from button to solenoid trigger wire. Hope this helps[-o<

Comment

Bad ground. Had it happen to mine when I cleaned up stuff around the battery box, All my ground wires now go direct to the battery.

Comment

starter button dead

thanks everyone it turned out to be a broken wire in the
                  harness causing a bad earth .
                  seems to work fine now thanks for the tips .

Comment

Working...
                  X