Starter Spinning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Spinning

I have a 1981 GS-450T I am trying to get running. The starter spins freely like it's not engaging the motor. I took the starter out and it works fine. I noticed the gear that the starter engages into spins freely in one direction CW, but not CCW. What could be the problem? I need help! :?

If I remember correctly, the starter clutch is mounted on the back of the stator rotor. It is supposed to spin one way but not the other. It sounds like the allen bolts that hold the starter clutch to the rotor broke.

Comment

You're right on.

Earl :-)

Originally posted by chiphead
      If I remember correctly, the starter clutch is mounted on the back of the stator rotor. It is supposed to spin one way but not the other. It sounds like the allen bolts that hold the starter clutch to the rotor broke.
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll check it out today and let you know what I find. 8-[

Thanks Agian

Comment

Here is what I found. The bolt that holds the rotor and stator on the shaft had come loose. I could unscrew it with my fingers. None of the bolts had broken. It really chewed up the shaft (shavings everywhere). So I cleaned everything up and put it back together. I was able to turn it by hand and see that it was working ok now. The bolt had a lock washer on it. I guess after 35yrs it worked itself loose. Anyways I'm waiting for a new gasket and some cap screws to put it back together. Every time I take the original screws off the engine case I replace them with stainless steel cap screws. Then the next time I have to take it apart I can at least get the screws out. I don't know what Suzuki was thinking when they put phillips head screws on the engine case:? .

Comment

Working...
          X