X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about Hines on his Harley :shock:
    What happened to him???

Comment

Some sprockets are just a flat sprocket. Some are made with a "boss" on one side, which is nothing more than an integral spacer. In chain/sprocket sizes, dimensions are referenced in 1/8" increments. The first number is pitch. the 2nd number is thickness. i.e. 630 chain has a pitch of 6/8" and a thickness of 3/8". 530 chain has a pitch of 5/8" and a thickness of 3/8". If you use a simple flate plate sprocket in either 630 or 530 size, you will need a spacer.
      If using a "bossed" sprocket, no spacer if required.

In reference to the comment about not having the "rubber" spacer, that is not quite accurate. On the original manufacture sprockets, there was a rubber inset which acted as a silencer to quiet chain noise. This rubber was sandwiched between a spacer and the sprocket and the countershaft mated to the steel side of the sprocket as normal. The rubber was only a doughnut, not a spacer for the sprocket.

Earl

Originally posted by quiktrp
      Just found this:
      530 5/8 inch pitch, 3/8 inch wide
      630 3/4 inch pitch, 3/8 inch wide

Does this mean that the sprocket teeth are the same thickness also? The only difference in thickness between the sprockets being the built in spacers?
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
        ...If you use a simple flate plate sprocket in either 630 or 530 size, you will need a spacer....
        This is incorrect information for a 1987-89 GS750 as I pointed out in my earlier post.

ok, I just found a pic of a "regular" 630 sprocket. It has a raised boss built into the side of it, like a built in spacer I guess. Mine did not have this. It was flat on both sides, and only had 630 stamped into the rear of the sprocket. I held the two sprockets up to each other, and thickness variance is negligable. Really the only difference I could discern was that the new sprocket had the teeth closer together, and the diameter was smaller....
        As quiktrp indicated in his earlier post, the original 630 sprocket did not have a raised boss. The original sprocket was flat and did not have a spacer. He bought a 6mm spacer that he does not need.

He has already stated that the sprocket fits and lines up correctly without the spacer. As I mentioned in my earlier post, the 630 to 530 conversion information in the Sun and JT sprocket catalogs indicate that the GS750's use the same countershaft sprockets, but only the 1980-1983 models require the 6mm spacer. quiktrp's 1979 GS750E does not require the spacer on a flat (no boss) sprocket.

What part of this explanation and actual satisfactory fitting by quiktrp without a spacer is under dispute?

Comment

What happened to him???
          Won the event this past week and took the lead in the points. With a little luck he might just get back in the high 6's again.
          1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
          1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
          1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
          1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
          01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Originally posted by RacingJake
            Won the event this past week and took the lead in the points. With a little luck he might just get back in the high 6's again.
            Oh, I was thinking it would be a horror story related to loss of body parts due to a loose front sprocket 8-[

Comment

In reference to the comment about not having the "rubber" spacer, that is not quite accurate. On the original manufacture sprockets, there was a rubber inset which acted as a silencer to quiet chain noise. This rubber was sandwiched between a spacer and the sprocket and the countershaft mated to the steel side of the sprocket as normal. The rubber was only a doughnut, not a spacer for the sprocket.
              Earl
              It was made of nylon Earl. You big dummy. Nylon I say! :-P
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Can we agree it was black? LOL

E.

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
                It was made of nylon Earl. You big dummy. Nylon I say! :-P
                Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Can we agree it was black? LOL

E.
                  Actually, I seem to remember it being anything but black.
                  And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                  Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                  X