Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch handle is super tight after changing handlebars

Hi everyone,

I am new to Motorcycling and this site is awesome. I bought an '82 GS1100L, or GL it says L on the side, a couple months ago and this is my first bike. I changed the handlebars yesterday from the original pullbacks to the Euro-style. Everything went well, until I pulled in the clutch. It is a lot more difficult to squeeze now. The bars are shorter so there is a lot of cable. Has anyone run into this? If so how did you fix it or does anyone else have suggestions. Other than that I love the new bars.
    Thanks,

Nathan

Maybe the new bars are slightly larger diameter than the old. This may be causing the clutch control that clamps on to the bars to expand a little and put pressure on the pivot flanges. Try loosening the bolts which hold the clamps together. Does the clutch control loosen up too?

Comment

cable is probably binding up.

Comment

"The bars are shorter so there is a lot of cable. Has anyone run into this? If so how did you fix it or does anyone else have suggestions"

So how much extra cable?
        enough that you have abig u turn in the cable?

It's probably binding up from the bend.
        Measure it from the clutch, where it would connect, from there to the
        other end, or motor end.
        You may be able to use a cable from an "E" model, or ask around, like here
        what other link clutch cable would fit.
        No big deal for now, but it will probably wear thru the casing or cause the cable to let go..........at the worst possible moment :shock:
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

The cable is making a pretty big loop. I thought that might be the issue. Is it possible to make it shorter by cutting the cable. I have to look at it closer to see. Thanks for the help. I will see what I can do.

Nathan

Comment

cutting the cable is not a good idea.I would look into getting a shorter cable.Measure it and call crc cycle parts or alpha sports and order a shorter one.

Comment

After looking at it I adjusted the cable so it wasn't quite as dramatic of a u turn and it is much easier to work now. Thanks again for the help. Like I said I am new to all this.

Nathan

Comment

Working...
              X