Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bouncy Tach

Is there any fix to a bouncy tach?
    Mine moves too easily at cruise speed and will not stay at a single RPM even with the cruise control on, and bounces 3-400 RPMs at the moment of shifting.
    Also while stopped, and I blip the throttle, the needle on the tach responds well, but after meeting the upper limit of the rev, the needle will bounce that 3-400 RPMs before it will somewhat, stabilize.

Is the tach shot? Is the cable shot?

If you've had this problem and can help, please let me know, what you know.

Thanks,
    Leon.

My route was to try a new cable. When that didn't help, I got an aftermarket tach from JC Whitney. It has worked great since I got it. It is difficult to dig into the tach, and there isn't a whole lot you can do once inside. There is a web page somewhere in GSR that shows you how to cut one open if you want to go that way.

Comment

Lube it

Mine did that. I undid the cable at the tach, squirted some lube up in there, put'er back together and it's rock steady. Give it a try. It's cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy
        Mine did that. I undid the cable at the tach, squirted some lube up in there, put'er back together and it's rock steady. Give it a try. It's cheap.
        Thanks man!

What oil did you use?
        Did you get any oil leaking onto the face of the tach, or on the inside of the lense?

Thanks again, I'll have to give this a try. Let me know about which oil you used!

Leon.

Comment

It was just some spray lube with teflon. Didn't get any on the lens. It worked quite well.

Comment

Working...
          X