81 GS450T elec. prob.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS450T elec. prob.

I purchased an 81 GS450t with 9,000 mi on it in April. The registration had run out in Oct. of 04, but it had been fired up and run every few weeks after that. I installed a new battery when I got it since the other one was old even though it seemed to keep a charge. Passed inspection without needing a thing except new rubber.

I just hit the 600 mi. mark since I purchased it, and when I tried to start it two days ago at work, nothing. The light had come on when I turned on the key, but when I hit the button it went completely dead. I push started it and it fired right up and I made it the 30 miles to home. I pulled the battery and all the cells only had about 1/4 the water they should have. I filled them up to the required level with distilled water, charged the battery, and ran fine yesterday.

Turned on the key today, console display and lights really dim. Wouldn't push start. Battery is full and reads 80% charge on the charger. Reinstalled the battery and now no juice to the starter button or instruments at all.

Any ideas? All the stores are closed since it's Sunday. This is my first bike and and experience with motorcycles at all. I've always worked on cars and my stock car, but a total novice when it comes to two wheelers.

Tough one. Couple of questions:
    Is the battery a see through opaque type. If so, is there any noticeable white "fungus" more on one cell than the other?
    If so, replace the battery.
    Did you take a light file and gently file the battery posts AND the cable ends? If so, are they tight?
    When you pushed the button, going completely dead generally indicates and amperage draw that the circuit can't handle.
    Check grounds with a meter. Should be zero ohms.
    Just some ideas.
    Your mileage may vary.

Comment

I can see into the battery, not moldy looking anywhere like you said. I think there is a huge draw on power somewhere. When the battery is charged and you turn on the key, it drains itself down to where you can barely see the headlight within 5 mins or so. The acid in it is ok, and a neighbor put the battery out of his bike in it and wouldn't crank at all. He jumped the terminals on the selinoid and it cranked right over, then took his battery back before he ruined it. Getting an ohms meter and such tomorrow to test everything.

Comment

This is what I'd do: Get a freshly charged battery, a multi-tester and some time. Then print and follow the Stator papers here from the site. It will lead you right to any battery/charging issues.

If you pass all those, then you'll have to hunt down something else. Charging failures are pretty common on these bikes, though.

Comment

Yeah, both GS450 bikes I'd restored had bad R/R that let too much current through and was boiling the battery dry. The R/Rs on these bikes simply were not designed to last for 25 years. This topic has been discussed to death. Do a search for the various options to remedy your problem.

Comment

Gonna run through the procedure on the stator pages tomorrow. Buddy checked some stuff for me while I was at work, says there's continuity through the yellow striped soldered wire on the selenoid to the ground and the wire to the starter both. Selenoid bad?

Comment

Working...
            X