Need Help Engine wont take gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help Engine wont take gas

Hi, as usual any help is greatly appreciated, so here is my dillema. About 2 months ago I took my 82 gs850 and painted the tank, engine etc, and this was running, at the time, incredibly well. Put it all back together, and bang now it wont take gas at all. Sometimes with a quarter choke I can get it to rev to 2000 if I'm lucky, but I'm not too lucky If I get it to idle at around 1000-1200 it will stay running but rough, any attempt to touch the throttle and it dies immediately. thanks for any help

Are all the lines on right?All lines clear?vacumn line good,no cracks or holes?Did you do anything to the carbs while they were off? any mods like pods or anything?

Comment

everything looks ok...

vacuum line has good suction when cranking, fuel line was full when i ripped off the tank after having these problems.... think its possible that the fuel in the carbs gunked up within one month? they had fresh gas when I painted the tank and that was about a month ago....

Comment

Originally posted by BigDaddyKool
        vacuum line has good suction when cranking, fuel line was full when i ripped off the tank after having these problems.... think its possible that the fuel in the carbs gunked up within one month? they had fresh gas when I painted the tank and that was about a month ago....
        The gas in the carbs has evaporated after a couple of days of being off,Not gunked up in a month.Have you tried it on prime when starting? You might drain the fuel bowls to see how much gas is in each one and what it looks like.,Have you cleaned or replaced the plugs plus cleaned the air filter and re-oiled it?Sounds like maybe fouled or bad plugs.I would clean the plugs or get new ones and go from there.
        Last edited by Guest; 07-16-2006, 08:10 PM.

Comment

See if your slides are stuck.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

ok here goes

slides not stuck, yanked carbs and cleaned them, good oil and compression bike only has 12,000 miles, excellent vac from carb line, fuel bowls are fillin up, pulled each plug...cleaned em and checked against cylinder head all get good spark. Heres a question, the little air screw that is covered by the factory, bieng that these are solid needle jet type screws, do they let air past them when the bike operates or do they pinch off another air tube within the carb itself? Would the bike operate if the air jet shaft was sealed? mine are normal just tryin to figure out how they work

Comment

Did you do any carb work before the problem started?
              If you install the diaphragm assembly incorrectly, the bike will idle but not accept any throttle.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

nope no carb work, think im going to strip them completely and clean em real good I've done this before, just cant figure out how the bike ran sooo good a month ago and now elcrappo, i'll give new plugs a shot too. People say youre looking for a bright blue spark, what if the spark is orange in color, bum coils? I have another set from my parts bike, but the boots looks like junk. Is there a way to test the coil output with an ohmmeter?

Comment

ok bike runs now carb clean and new plugs thanks for the help everyone

Comment

Working...
                  X