No announcement yet.

81 550 carb rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only way to increse voltage is to put more turns on the seccondary, which means lighter wire. :-/ It also means a spark with less amperage. *runs off to do some research on the subject* Like the stator advice.. this just doesn't make sence.
    You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
    1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
    1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
    1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
    1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
    1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nerobro
      The only way to increse voltage is to put more turns on the seccondary, which means lighter wire. :-/ It also means a spark with less amperage. *runs off to do some research on the subject* Like the stator advice.. this just doesn't make sence.
      A sparkplug spark depends more on voltage, less on amperage. It's good voltage that's the first step to good spark. The higher the voltage, the better able it is to jump the gap and get to ground, creating the spark. Along with the higher voltage "pushing" electrons through the cable, the amperage will also increase as long as the resistance remains the same. So with the higher voltage and amperage, the spark and combustion improve.
      Just basic Ohm's Law. If the voltage rises and the resistance remains the same, the amperage will also rise through the cable.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Nice GS 550

First Timer,

My first post here on GSResource.

Nice GS. I've had my '81 GS 550 L since summer of '84.

What kind of bars are those in your pic 'w/mods'?

I'm thinking about making K/N upgrade, but the bars and the grips might be first.

Thanks in advance.

Kapkirk

Comment

those are drag bars but i would recomend against them they are rough on the back, go with super bike bars, and do a search for 550 mods there has been a lot posted already

-ryan
          78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
          82 Kat 1000 Project
          05 CRF450x
          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Superbike bars:

You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
            If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
            1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
            1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
            1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
            1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
            1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Working...
            X