Wind Screen, Look Over or Thru?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wind Screen, Look Over or Thru?

How should a wind screen fit? I've had to adjust the National Cycle Plexistar I bought used to keep from unloading my front end, but to do so I had to raise it up slightly. Now the top edge is right in my field of view. I can hunch and look thru it or stretch a little and look over it, but I'd rather look over it all the time.

Opinions please?

Either/under

Back in the olden days, the big Harleys had windscreens that you totally looked through but you never seem to see those these days. If the top edge is in your field of view, I think you'd get used to it (and not notice it) in a short while but I understand your frustration.
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

If it was me, I would set it at whatever position gave me the quietest ride. Try both ways; go out and take a spin the the next town at Interstate speeds or better (whatever you normally ride at) to test. Decide which one you would like to have in front of you every day or on a long trip.

Traditionally it has been that you look just over the windscreen, but I don't buy that anymore. Every situation is unique. It is whatever gives you your most enjoyable ride. That could be above OR below the windscreen. It is where the turbulent air directs AFTER it passes over/around the windscreen that determines what noise and buffeting impact the rider. Height, shape, angle, etc. of the windscreen all affect that.
      Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Thanks, guys. You know, I really don't like looking thru another piece of plastic, especially on sunny days. (1- glasses 2- clip-ons 3- helmet visor 4- windscreen) I might try cutting an inch or two off the top of the screen. IF I feel brave latter... :roll:

Comment

I had a Plexifairing 3 on my bike for many years and always adjusted it so I could look over the top. I found that the upper edge had too much distortion to comfortably look though--especially in the rain. I had the lowers parallel to the fork legs, which tilted the upper part to the rear quite a bit. I had no trouble with excessive wind noise or turbulence in that position.

If after adjusting it the best you can, you can take a little off the top with a saber saw or a belt sander if it's still too high.

Comment

windscreen height

I had the same concerns with my Windjammer. Cut down the standard screen by 5 inches, now it's great for for bimbling around town and short trips on the highway. Keeps the air off the hands and upper body, but allows complete clear view ahead.

One caution while cutting: I think the blade speed I used on the jigsaw was too fast. The saw was cutting just great, but the plastic was melting and recongealing behind the cut. So then the cut piece would not come off easily. Next time I would cut slower so that chips/sawdust came out.

Still it did clean up nicely with hand files, although it did take some time.

For longer trips someday, bought a used normal-height screen with vent holes from a local wrecker, and it's polishing up nicely as I find the time.

Comment

Mine is a few inches lower than my normal viewing angle. I normally have no need to look through it. If it's tall enough it ought to shoot the air up over your head without blocking your view.

Comment

Working...
              X